Moiré Explorer

Since I was a kid I was fascinated by the moiré effect when two overlapping patterns create another pattern / image.

After getting my Glowforge, I had cut out some regular patterns of holes and slots etc, and noticed they would create that same kind of interference pattern when overlapped. So I figured it would be a fun exercise to create a gadget with interchangable discs to explore the moire effect. I call it the Moiré Explorer

The first prototype was a simple C-shaped ring with captured bearings to let one disc turn in front of the other. The discs are transparent acrylic and look really cool when turned.

tumblr_p1f9jsQ4TX1rzx9dqo1_400

It’s also lively when viewed from different angles!

tumblr_p1f8xfVJB01rzx9dqo1_400

The final design is kind of a claw shape that can be displayed 3 different ways

tumblr_p1nqehqbgh1rzx9dqo1_400

The construction is 6 layers of PG wood, with spring-loaded bearings that pull the disc into the gadget and hold it steady relative to the fixed disc on the back

tumblr_p1oifekjLR1rzx9dqo1_400

I’m still learning a lot about how to design moiré patterns, but now that I have this gadget, it’s really easy to cut a new design and play around with combinations :slight_smile:

tumblr_p1nq9uOEEr1rzx9dqo1_400

EDIT:

Parts used for Explorer:

• One sheet of proofgrade wood
  • 3 small bearings
  • 3 wooden dowels shafts
  • 6 thin plastic washers
  • a small amount of 1/16 thick acrylic (optional to keep disc steady, slide easily)
193 Likes

I regret that I can only like this one time. Love the design. The spring loaded retaining mechanism for the discs is so clever.

11 Likes

Wow!! What a cool idea! :star_struck:
Your build is very impressive. That’s a fidget spinner I can get behind. Anyone who has bearings and springs laying around is a gearhead friend of mine!Great share, thank you!

Edit; Cool website too!

11 Likes

Thanks Mark - I had a lot of fun geeking out on it!

3 Likes

I had a ‘my 12 year old self would be so jealous’ moment when i realized i didn’t have to leave the house for parts - not to mention the whoa of owning of a laser cutter!

12 Likes

Very cool!

2 Likes

This has to be just about the most unique item I’ve seen created on a Glowforge! I’m really impressed. Well done!

7 Likes

That deserves to be picked up by Make and by any other tech/maker site. It’s a top five project in my book. Very creative.

Somewhere along the line there was a moire business card that was pretty cool. This is the best!

14 Likes

That’s beautiful. I hope you’re planning to sell them, 'cause I want one! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yesssssss! Moire is such a great simple effect and this is a great implementation.

2 Likes

Great attention to detail. I checked out your website. I like where your head is at. Thank you for sharing. Please treat us to more of your projects.

Happy New year! :sparkler:

5 Likes

All my likes!! (Well, just one since I can’t give you more :smile: )

3 Likes

What amazing fun!!! Fabulous project!

1 Like

Thanks so much for all the positive comments! It’s been a great way to learn the ins and outs of GF design and lasering

I’m wrapping up a few final adjustments, and will be sharing the design files so people can make their own. Also hoping to find time to do a quick write-up / how-to

9 Likes

really nice build!

1 Like

WOW. This is super cool. I so appreciate your sharing this.

2 Likes

This is so cool! Especially since I saw it on reddit first, thought “wow that would be a cool Glowforge project” and come here to find out you’re its creator!

6 Likes

This is awesome. I wonder if it could be repurposed as a device to explore musical harmony (which also relies on interfering frequencies). Perhaps add an optical scanner and let two discs spin freely?

2 Likes

Using moiré as a music creation tool sounds pretty neat! Probably get some really avant-garde sounds out of it

1 Like

Hypnotizing! This is such a neat little device. Can’t wait to see what other designs you come up with. :slight_smile:

3 Likes