More Adventures In Edge Lit Acrylic

I have to give a shout out to evansd2, who gave me a some great advice. Place black card stock behind edge lit acrylic to make it pop.

Well, that gave me a idea… What if I sandwiched a piece of veneer between two pieces of medium acrylic?

I think I’ve fallen down a rabbit hole.

60 Likes

That looks great!

2 Likes

The veneer is a nice touch, adds some warmth and makes it pop at the same time. Clever.

4 Likes

Very nice!! Do you glue the pieces together?

1 Like

No, I was concerned that glue might prevent it from lighting correctly. Or, at least, not light up as well as I would like.

Instead, I spent some time working on the “tab”, that is, the part of the acrylic that is hidden inside the fixture. I made sure that it fit snugly and couldn’t wobble from side to side. All three parts have exactly the same tab, so they line up with each other. There are three small screws that hold the fixture closed. I tightened them as tight as I felt was safe, given the fixture is just thin plastic.

There is some small wobble from front to back, but it all stays pretty straight and secure.

3 Likes

Thanks! Sounds better than potentially getting smears or globs of glue that might end up showing through. :wink:

2 Likes

Welcome! We know you here. It’s a rabbit hole full of wonders. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

My yard is full of rabbit holes from this forum! This looks great!

3 Likes

What a great effect! Love it!

3 Likes

Great tip!

2 Likes

Excellent results. I’m thinking there are an unlimited number of possible materials that could be sandwiched in there. A rabbit hole indeed!

2 Likes

Very nice. What is the material in the middle? Also, there is something called bonded. It’s clear and is cured by UV. Maybe if put the tiniest bevel on the edges around and cure it, then sand it smooth you may not need screws. I’ve used it with good results.

3 Likes

Wood veneer from a variety pack I purchased at Woodcraft. Genus is unknown, but from the straight coarse grain, and deep brown color, I’m thinking it’s from the Mahogany family.

DEWENWILS Plug-in LED Night Light with Light Sensor, Auto Dusk-to-Dawn Sensor, Bright Nightlights for Bathroom, Hallway, Bedroom, Living Room, Flat Clear Design, Daylight, UL Listed, 4Pack - - Amazon.com

These are the nightlights that I’m using. I just remove the screws in the back and pop out the existing acrylic piece, insert my “creation”, and put the screws back in. Easy peasy.

I’m wondering if I can use those acrylic pieces for something. I’m not sure if they are cast or extruded, or if I should just throw them away. I am planning to get a cnc router eventually… Anyway, just thinking.

How does one make their link look cool like that, by the way?

7 Likes

I never throw anything away, so don’t ask me. And I’m not sure how to jazz up your link. I’m sure someone will come along and advise you.

2 Likes

So nice!! just wondering, what did you use to keep it together? Like an adhesive? Thanks for sharing!!

2 Likes

It is held together with pressure from the screws and a well designed tab. This is explained in the answer to @grottfam who asked how it was held together.

2 Likes

Thats awesome, thank you

2 Likes