More boxes

Thank you SO much for posting this walk-through and the photos. This is exciting to me and I look forward to giving it a try, soon. (good reminder to try with cardboard, first) :+1:t2: :grinning:

2 Likes

The boxes are Awesome! Thanks for sharing the images and steps you used.
I know I will be making Tons of Boxes!

2 Likes

They look great! They really do!

Have you considered inlaying the engraved maple circle into the walnut box? Also centering all those geometric shapes of the engrave in the middle of the box looks to my untrained eye as a bit conventional.

1 Like

The graphics are just place holders until they work out the final design. I’m hoping the final will be a little more interesting.

I think an inlay would be too cost prohibitive since it would really raise the labor costs per box.

2 Likes

Materials ordered. I apologize if they run out of medium walnut plywood, just ordered 90 sheets.

They also upped the order to 160. :sweat: Gonna be really busy the next few weeks. :slight_smile:

Time to see how well the basic holds up to a heavy load. Luckily i haven’t had any over heating issues since the glowfoge is in a cold basement.

12 Likes

Outstanding.
I’m a big fan of proofgrade too! Consistent. No question your job will run first time no material related incident. In a project like you just got yourself into - that’s golden.

3 Likes

Love it

Material arrived today!! That is a lot of PG :smile:

Now i just need to finish making some jigs for my router to cut the channel for the lid. I decided against etching them with the laser since it was going to add at least 40 hrs to the engraving time.

Jigs are super easy to make them with the GF. I can see myself making a bunch of these in the future. Here are a few pics of the prototype.

I just need to make a few final adjustments and i’ll be ready to start production.

28 Likes

Pretty clever here! I agree with the multi-tool approach. Sure the laser could etch it out, but I’d rather save that tube life to do more complicated things I wouldn’t be able to do so easy with my other tools!

6 Likes

Good plan Sometimes (hold onto your hat) the laser isn’t the right tool for a job :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Wow. Great design. Great execution.
You’ve shown me I really need to step up my box game!

Awesome! :sunglasses: I know you have spent many hours contemplating workflow.
See, all that time lying in bed at night blinking at the ceiling paid off!

New record holder for the largest proofgrade order yet!

2 Likes

Great project! Just noticed you are in Rochester, Where abouts? I’m on the east side of Batavia!

Rapid jig making is one of the reasons I bought a GF. Lasers are great at fitness and small fast cuts, but dados and rebates are much faster with a dado stack or router.

4 Likes

I’ll have to make plans for a glowforge-made router table with custom jigs on top before I get the email. Awesome box project.

Nice, I’m in Victor. We’ll have to start a Rochester GF user group.

1 Like

I am from Rochester, too! Henrietta. When I get mine, I might need a tutorial from you :wink:

No problem, I would be happy to help if i can. Finger crossed you get yours soon.

Me too

Freakin’ awesome!