More image engrave issues

The pixelated appearance is at least partly because your grays have been reduced so far down. It uses dots to replicate tonal value, since the tones are lighter, the dots are not as tight.

I think your best bet is going to be either something like vector magic or reproducing it by hand as a vector.

What people have said. The problem is that the GF is trying to reproduce the bits and bytes that are in the image rather than what your eye sees. And the conversion from one medium to another just makes things worse. If you could trace the lines and redo the lettering that might end up taking less time than infinitely trying to process the image by computer.

I got a pretty decent engrave the image it after cleaning up some of the noise. (I didn’t use masking so the paper is a bit stained.) I think you’d have a really hard time getting a decent trace of this and working on the bitmap might be the way to go, but I could be wrong. I haven’t tried it on leather though so it may not look as good.

FWIW, I used the tone curve to up the white and “sample target balance” which lets me select a wider range of the lightest colors and change them all to pure white. (I use Corel so the command is likely named something else in other programs.) I then upped the contrast a bit and saved the image as a PNG with a transparent background. It did lose some of the lightest bands of light grey color though. If you click on the PNG image it’ll give you the transparent view and you can see how much noise was cleaned up.

Wow kittski. That looks better than my wallet. Thank you for the suggestions. I’ll try those out. Leather engraves really close to paper which is why I was testing on that. I went through an entire hide when I started with this and realized how expensive that was. lol

VectorMagic is working better than illustrator. It’s costly for the desktop version but I had to do it as my file sizes were too much for the online version. Thank you again.

I’m still having issues with the size of the file. If I place the new vector on the design in illustrator and rasterize it, I loose the resolution. If I rasterize the image in photoshop and bring into GF It’s huge and I have to shrink it down in the UI but I keep the crisp resolution. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. This technique worked great for some coasters I made because placement wasn’t so critical but when I use these for my next leather project I want the placement precise and I’m not experiencing that.

You should have pretty much zero perceptible difference if you’re rasterizing it at a high resolution, like 600ppi.

when you rasterize things, are you doing it in illustrator? if so, you’re getting an RGB vector file.

if you own illustrator, you probably own photoshop. once you get the file the way you like, open it in photoshop and rasterize it there. then take that file and convert it to grayscale and save as a grayscale PNG. that will make the file closer to 1/3 the size, since you’ll only have one channel (bw) instead of 3 (RGB).