More Laser Machines

Here is one tool company (Laguna Tools), that traditionally makes high-end woodworking machines and great CNC machines, just entering the laser cutter/engraver market.

Their 12"x20" 40Watt laser starts at around $5000.
https://lagunatools.com/cnc-laser/co2-lasers/smartshop-laser-mu/

I did watch their video though, covering the alignment of the optics, and I have to say that the Glowforge with its promised pre-adjusted/aligned optics that are locked in for good, sounds much better. Provided, of course that all starts well and stays well adjusted.

I’m still hoping and waiting.

14 Likes

Interesting. From the video, it looks substantially built. Also, you can double the bed size to 24 by 20 for less than $700. It wasn’t clear to me if the base price includes the chiller and air assist. Looks like it doesn’t handle SVG file formats which is a deal killer for me. It is still GF for me! It will be interesting to see what is available in about 5 years for hobbyist like me from all the vendors.

8 Likes

The specs look pretty good but I don’t see any mention of the z-axis height anywhere. Did I miss it? It looks pretty deep in the video.

Laguna does have a good reputation for quality high-end CNC routers.

1 Like

And if you take the numbers literally in their material chart, the 40w doesn’t even hit 1/4" on most materials. Although it does say it rasters all those metals, but you’d think there should be a “*requires Cermark or similar” sort of statement there.

3 Likes

every laser company does that, and i agree, there should be some asterisks liberally sprinkled about

3 Likes

I did not see the Z specs either @johnwills. Laguna also has a $500 discount coupon hiding on one of their webpages if you happen onto the correct page on their site. Maybe one of us will find it while we peruse their site for the Z spec!!!

3 Likes

The really interesting thing is that they’re also offering 100W for not that much more than the base price. They have a good name (and apparently a bunch of other way bigger lasers) but …

2 Likes

It mentions “etc.”. I would be very surprised that if it’s handling native AI and DWG files, as well as DXF (which was designed for exchange/interoperability of DWG), it wouldn’t handle SVGs.

LOL…Chinese laser in a new box. They didn’t even correct the poor spelling and grammar from the original Chinese descriptions. - Rich

2 Likes

Yes, @jbmanning5, it would seem logical but unless stated, I am always suspicious!!! I did not see the etc, guess I should have looked more closely!!! Thanks!!

On the software side vs hardware, AI, in my opinion does not handle SVG files, but they state in their literature (can’t remember where) that they do. However, AI only handles what I consider small SVG’s, bogs down with medium size ones and bombs out completely with larger ones (around 200 megs and up).

I also really need the GF camera and registration capability which

At the risk of derailing the topic, sorry, how in the world are you guys coming up with 200 mb SVGs? Embedded bitmaps?

4 Likes

@jbmanning5 I work with geographic data. The files are large. 250 megs is small. Some of them are several gigs when I work with large raster files. Here is one SVG I use on a regular basis, it is only 207.5 megs. :-)))

It is one of several master files that are used to generate smaller working files. Adobe Illustrator completely choked on this one. I think I damaged their Cloud service! :-)))

P.S. Affinity Designer handled it easily. Inkscape handled it but took a couple minutes to open it. If you own Adobe stock, get out soon, Affinity could put them out of business! :-)))

8 Likes

@jbmanning5 Here is a screen shot of that 207 meg file so you can see what it is, just in case you are curious! :-)))

I turned off some of the polygon layers so you could see the detail in the vector lines. For everything you see as lines, there are additional polygon themes too. This is just a portion of one country in the World and some countries are much larger!

20 Likes

Where does it say that they are Chinese machines (rebranded)?

I think that’s an assumption everyone is making. FSL was an importer who then reworked the machines when they arrived onshore to fix them up before sending them out under their own label.

It makes sense that they would use Chinese manufacturing (hey, remember that someone here was going to go offshore for mfg until this spring’s delay announcement and the change to onshore :slight_smile:). They could well have spec’ed the machine and had some company in China do the build. I don’t think that’s the same as a K40 level machine re-brand though. I wouldn’t be afraid of using them just because they’re (likely) built in China. I have other issues with them. (Support mostly.)

2 Likes

seriously.

every time i’m tempted by the muse i think about the company’s less-than-stellar reputation for support.

5 Likes

Well, I am guessing, but several things:

• Price point
  • They are not bragging “Made in USA”
  • Bad grammar and spelling in description
  • I have seen those specs many times before on Chinese machines

I could be wrong. :slight_smile: - Rich

6 Likes

Are these files in the public domain or specific for your company?

looking at the layers, its all just normal geodata stuff. you can find those datasets and load them into something like qgis/arcgis/whatever.

3 Likes

@PFI-Guy All the map files can be purchased for a nominal cost at https://laserandcncdigitalfiles.wordpress.com/world-map-files/

There are World, US Continental and individual state map files available on the site. All map layers are registered and organized hierarchically which gives flexibility to produce the exact product you want with your laser machine.

10 Likes