More on cutting silk; settings

Yep! Used that trick before. Great stabilizer for cutting with a digital cutter.

1 Like

How do you get the wax out of the fabric after?

1 Like

I just ironed it again between sheets of paper towel. (Probably left a little in there but it didn’t show).

1 Like

Gaaaah! I hit the wrong button, sorry. Process continues:

I mark the ‘inside’ of the sheet of wax paper with a sharpie, so I can tell which side goes against the paper. Do it right away, since both sides look and feel alike; but they are not.

Hold the sandwich down with magnets on edges and center. (Yes, those ceramic magnets break, but now I have a strong, small magnet adhered to some waste wood.) During the cutting, there was very little flapping in the breeze, and nothing flew around inside the GF.

I intentionally cut the silk on the bias, so it could deform if I mishandled it taking the mask off. Woo hoo, no deformation! The flat bottom corner was my placement mistake re: edges of the cloth.

Earlier I had tried some masking tape on the bottom. It held very well; so well, I could not separate the tape from the cloth. No problem, it’s in my library of experiences.

7 Likes

There was no residue. I’m not sure how it works, but if the quilters recommend it, then it’s probably OK. I never read of a problem with residue in quilts.

Dang it, did it again… Settings: I used speed 200 and power 2, set for 2 passes.

Is there a reason you did two passes? I’d think silk would cut easily in one pass with just a bit more power.

1 Like

You can edit your original post and add the info there.

Click the pencil:

1 Like

When I’m excited about a technique, I tend to go into ‘overkill’ mode. Now that I’m calmed down I will do more experimenting. I wanted to make sure it went thru the paper ok. My earlier experiments with tape left uncut areas.

2 Likes

Thank you! No more embarassment. :blush:

2 Likes

This is the key:

3 Likes

You can also just stick the silk to a piece of paper masking (I use the 12" wide stuff for vinyl cutters) like I did here (note: silk cutting settings obviously not optimized):

3 Likes

I could not get the silk off the masking tape. Plus, i think it would have deformed the bias cut.

Thanks, evansd2.

I think my iron settings along with the press cloth allow the wax to form a gripping surface with the silk, but there’s not enough heat to fully melt it into the fibers. Once cool, it hangs together like a well-cut puzzle. Easy to peel apart after the laser is finished. I have not seen wax residue on any of the cloth I’ve cut so far (silk, quilting cotton).

2 Likes

I wonder how blue painters tape would fare. Thanks for sharing your technique here!

1 Like

Transfer tape comes in different “tacks”, most often used is “medium” but you can get “light” for delicate materials.

1 Like

Long ago, I used to stiffen pieces of silk with starch for precision cutting. Of course, you have to wash it out of the silk when you are done. Not sure if that is any use here.

3 Likes

At first I thought, “Nah, edges would shred when you wash it out, even gently.” Then I thought about it from the point of view of a fiber artist. 1) maybe the starch allows ironing in seam lines…[OMG, precise convex curve adjustment cuts! and scoreing the underside of the turned edge] for applique or other techniques requiring a turned edge, or 2) frayed edges are just what the artist wanted. [designs cut out of the calf area of jeans].

It’s a good idea.

2 Likes

oops, didn’t mean to reply