ok… im not your average joe… i have weird hobbies, but as a traditional artist, i always want to figure out how to use new tools. I carve ostrich egg shells with a dental drill, but cant fit them under the laser. and ive done a lot of traditional scrimshaw… and had seen some postings in here of scrimshaw attempts.
messing around with a LOT of slate, and playing with depths to cut into draftboard and maple, i figured i could experiment with bone. i started with camelbone… cut and drilled (traditionally) to the size/shape of a grip for a smaller 1911. holy crap. after what i thought was horrendous burning/scorching over the surface, it “scrubbed off” (with a lot of elbow grease) to be something with a LOT of promise… it saves more than 95% of the carving process if i had to do this by hand!