Mother's Day card from handmade paper

The woman who taught me to spin is one of my closest friends. She and her husband have invited me over for dinner on Sunday. They are empty nesters now, and I’m almost family to them.

Margaret is quite artistic, but never thinks her stuff is very good. (Really, her stuff is quite good: weaving, spinning, sewing, paper making, etc.) She gave me some of her handmade paper so I could see how they would handle in the GF.

I’m not very design-artistic, so this is a plain-Jane gift, but it sure shows off the paper nicely:

There are three layers of paper, of varying thicknesses. The butterfly is engraved & scored on the beige/gold paper, and the text is engraved/scored on the cream/pink paper. I made registration holes on each page for lining things up properly…I may yet cover them with veneer rondels.

Here is the sequence of cuts/engraves -

And since she gives me lots of Angora bunny fluff to spin, I made this vest pin for her -

39 Likes

Nice pin! Interesting paper for sure. That’s a craft in itself.

6 Likes

Awesome! I’m guessing you used the new handy-dandy paper engraving settings.

7 Likes

I’m not that advanced :blush:

I used cardstock settings I’d developed a few months ago.

4 Likes

Lovely use of her paper - and I love the bunny pin.

5 Likes

Beautiful! I love the looks of the paper. Keep up the good work.

4 Likes

I really like natural color of that paper…and then with the coordinating color that you get when it’s engraved. Very lovely. (and the bunny pin is exquisite)

4 Likes

Margaret will forever cherish your beautiful gift!!!

4 Likes

The paper engrave turned out so well! And the bunny pin is too cute - she’s going to love them!

4 Likes

That looks great. I love the bunny!!

2 Likes

I was surprised at how crisp the cut lines, and the engraving, appeared. The black paper was thin and flexible, but the gold and white were quite thick and stiff. It’s like they were made for the GF!

2 Likes

That’s the perfect design for the paper and is lovely! Not plain at all <3

2 Likes

I used to do a lot of stamping/scrapbooking, and used to make my own paper. Your friend will love this! There is a free design for making a “paper making doohickey” on the Free Designs app. Maybe you could make your friend one of those as well, just as a fun thing for her.

2 Likes

This sounds interesting; do you have a link?

1 Like

Great! I’m going to try to make one before I see her tomorrow. If I do, it will be great encouragement for her to try making cotton paper.

Kelley, just click on the “free designs” in the GF community and search “paper-making doohickey.” geek2nurse designed it. You can just save the svg file.

1 Like

Note to self: make sure the blast gate is open before cutting 1/4" acrylic. Just sayin’.

1 Like