Mountain & Island Coasters

I may take another crack at the contours for Maui & Kauai today. If I do, I’ll try to add in one for Oahu at the same time.

1 Like

They are great! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Oh yea, slate is the way to go…

I need to bump up the line width for the minor contour lines though

12 Likes

No, I don’t think so. My husband uses the topo maps and websites so I’ll ask him. I know we have a printed topo map of the river in our boat, but haven’t had time we to play with it yet. We’ve only had our GF for a month and have so many projects we want to try.

Denise

WOW… Mahalo for your kindness, I’m from Kaua’i, O’ahu and Hawai’i Island. These are perfect. Can’t wait to use them.

These are wonderful. I love the Hawaiian Island coasters. I have friends in Hawaii and these will make great gifts. I will have to see if I can design the other islands to go with these. I also love the mountain ones as I have family members who live in Oregon and Washington. Thank you for sharing. It is very generous of you.

Aloha, awesome design! I was wanting to print the island coasters. I notice that you have Kilauea Hawaii as the Highest point on the Bid island and it is actually Manua Kea. Do you have any other file type to share for printing, was trying to edit the name but not converting to SVG very well.

Hi Rhs. The peaks listed are of specific importance to the family of the person that requested the design, not necessarily the highest point. I’d asked the same question while I was making them, but these were the peaks she wanted listed and was fine with the max elevation of the whole island.

Edit- she said the peak name is the only important part, so I’ll change the peak when I go in to edit contours and add Oahu. Need to change the interval on those.

Thanks, and yes Ohau would make a nice complete set. Going to order some slate coaster to put these on.

I talked to her about it this morning and she actually mixed up the peak names anyways. You were right, she did want Mauna Kea on there. I had just finished adding a little icon for Kilauea that showed the elevation next to the symbol when she realized she’d mixed them up. She said “Sorry, I’m from Kauai!”.

Anyways, working on some more edits and adding in Oahu now. I removed the backgrounds from the Hawaii ones and was looking for something else to fill up the white space. I didn’t like the wave icons I’d added in so I took those back out. Now I’m trying to decide if I want to use a simple hatch, leave them blank, or add in a nautical star with bearing lines. Anyone have opinions?

This one is really quick and dirty, but this would be the star idea

10 Likes

I like the star one a lot!

1 Like

Star all the way!

1 Like

What about a combo of the two? Or just the simple star?

4 Likes

Just the star…

1 Like

Damn. You give too many options. lol. I really like the star the most I think. :wink:

Got it, thanks all. I actually liked the hatch background pattern the best, but I’ve learned in the last month or so that the stuff I like is apparently repulsive to most people, lol. I guess I don’t have an eye for aesthetics, but I’m probably going to do a separate version with the hatching just so I can try it out tonight. I’ll do a star for the main file I upload. Will update the download link in a few hours.

I didn’t find the waves revulsive at all, just a touch busy - possibly if they were a significantly lighter engrave. OTOH the star is gorgeous, especially crossing under the island like that (just be sure it’s facing the right direction for each island!)

1 Like

Star by itself of a much simpler version with both star and waves. Perhaps very thin lined waves and only in a few areas.

2 Likes

Thanks! Obviously the star & lines are a common cartography feature, but kudos to @Whengeekscraft for inspiring a lot of the map-related stuff I do on the glowforge.

1 Like

Thanks for the share!

1 Like