Mounted Acrylic and Wood Map

As many of you know, I have a focus on Frank Lloyd Wright for one of my shops. I decided to highlight his most popular houses in a mounted map item. This is the Frederick Robie House in Chicago IL I also have plans to make it customizable, and to make another item with more focus on the house.

1/8" cherry plywood
1/8" clear acrylic
1/2" stainless steel standoffs
Copper shot bead
Black paint for the engraving

29 Likes

The black engraving floating above the map looks a-m-a-z-i-n-g. I love everything about this :slight_smile:

17 Likes

The engraved acrylic and standoffs make such a nice presentation.

12 Likes

Very nice work! I have done a few awards in a similar fashion, having two surfaces to display engraving gives another dimension to the work. :sunglasses:

15 Likes

Yes! I love it. I’ve been trying to convince myself that I need the lit standoffs for something :rofl:

16 Likes

This turned out beautiful!

4 Likes

Everyone needs standoffs. I love the colored ones - blue, gold, green and pink. And the square ones.

https://www.outwater.com/search?keywords=standoffs

10 Likes

Oh yeah, an edge-lit engraving in acrylic would be the only way to step up the design! I’ve seen signs like that on lit standoffs outside the doors identifying offices and restrooms. They really grab your attention. :star_struck:

4 Likes

A couple of examples, 3/4" Red Oak…

Standoffs make them stick out! :wink:

11 Likes

Looks great! Are they on 1/8" or 1/4" backs?

3 Likes

Thank you!
The wood is 3/4", acrylic is 1/4". The green glass stuff strikes me more than the clear in this application.

5 Likes

A couple of comments:

I love anything maps; this is truly inspiring;
I just learned a few new things from this discussion;
Thank you for showing us your work.

6 Likes

Oh I looove the green edge acrylic! So classy

5 Likes

This is awesome!

4 Likes

Ditto! :innocent:

3 Likes

Oh, so elegant! An I love your tile display stand as well.

2 Likes