Much better box

Yeah, the arrival of the Glowforge was the bridge too far, I was literally crawling over stuff. The 3d printer is covered in stuff so as to be an hour out from being used if needed. Kinda like getting overweight, at some point you have a “come to Jesus” moment. Next, I’ll start building wall cabinents, that should be a huge help. I learned 40 years ago on submarines to think in cubic feet, not square feet. Now I just have to apply that.

4 Likes

There is a Woodcraft store in the St. Louis area (in Maryland Heights), and they list the stuff on their website so they probably have some in the store. Check them out next time you’re in town! I need to do that too.

FWIW, the more mils the better. It comes in 5,6,10… I think the stuff I have is 15mil. The thinner stuff might do better conforming to curved surfaces.

1 Like

Oh man, I loooove this :heart_eyes: It looks so smooth and precise, and I think the finger joints add some really amazing texture! Thanks for sharing!

Great words of wisdom. I feel I’m going to be telling myself this very often in the near future, what with the sizes of some of the apartments I’m currently looking at :joy:

2 Likes

Here’s a few pics of those mineral filled (over 50% wood) composites that I mentioned above. They can be machined without molding. The use of stable mineral pigments ensures that they are almost fade proof. These are all formulations that I invented.

25 Likes

Wow! I’m impressed! Are they used for countertops as well? And, of course, are they laserable?

2 Likes

No, mostly for decks and lumber for construction. They are heavily protected with several environmentally friendly fire retardants, so they might be laserable, even though they have several forms of recycled polyethylene in them. I may try a small experiment when I get my machine.

9 Likes

I think the redish one is what my deck is built out of…

1 Like

The pigment in red is good old iron +3 oxide (aka rust).

2 Likes

So an trivia bits on the different colors?

1 Like

No organic colorants are employed, as they are destroyed and fade with time. Titanium oxide provides a white base color that blocks UV, carbon black makes black and grey. Iron oxides range from red, yellow, purple, black, and the colors from their combination in different proportions.

10 Likes

I even developed an environmentally friendly, unregulated mosquito repellant that serves a second role as an extrusion lubricant. The idea is this. The lube would slowly migrate over 30-50 years to the surface of the decking and repel mosquitos.

14 Likes

Thank you. I think this stuff is decking for my dock in Washington State. Cool…- Rich

2 Likes