Museum Label brackets

I don’t know if this is actually considered a practical cut, but it seems to so me.

In the Museum business, graphic interpretive signs are called “Labels” ( no matter how big they are).
I am installing a new exhibit & wanted a more flexible way to attach the labels to the 1.5" square tube I’m using as a crowd barrier. This is what I came up with, they simply snap onto the steel tube, can be slid horizontally wherever I want them, and the angle of the label is adjustable (the actual printed graphic is glued to a sheet of 1/4" sintex that is then attached to the bracket with velcro).

The first version of these was designed to be 3D printed, but each one took a couple of hours. The Glowforge versions print in less than 7 minutes & I have one completely assembled in 10 mins. They are made from 1/4" acetal.

Here are the parts:

An assembled clamp:

… and two clamps snapped onto the steel square tube:

43 Likes

What an ingenious design! And I can imagine the cost of doing it on the Glowforge is also cheaper than making a 3-D image? Double score!!

6 Likes

Very practical! I love the layering and 3-D build up.

4 Likes

That’s a great solution!

4 Likes

those are Great! well done.

4 Likes

Brilliant design, and great way to assemble pieces that really can’t be glued. I wonder if you could also engrave teeth around those screw holes to give them better grip against the mating surface? But you probably don’t have any trouble tightening it down.

2 Likes

Thanks. Yes, i used self tapping screws, with a through-hole on one side & middle section and a small pilot hole in the third section. So they are very tight. I’ve never found a glue that works well with acetal.

3 Likes

Really smart!

4 Likes

What a great solve!!! Awesome work!

2 Likes