Music Boxes and Outdoor Thermometer

Well, thought I’d post a few pictures of my latest creations. I had neighbors that had their Wedding Anniversary fall on Chinese New Year, so I made a Dragon Themed music box for them. It’s made of Walnut and Cherry. Here are a few photos:

Then we had Valentines Day so I figured I needed to make a music box for my wife. The music is Time in a Bottle by Jim Croce, and the lyrics are engraved on the inside of the box which is Cedar. The outside is engraved with activities we love to do:

The trickiest part of both boxes was setting up the stop mechanism for the music box.
When I ordered the parts for the music box, the place I ordered from had dial thermometer parts, and a kit was only ~ $11, so here is version 1 engraved on 1/8 inch Baltic Birch Ply:

My wife told me to get rid of the low end or the scale , since here in Southern California we never see temps below the mid 30’s, so that will be version 2, with a possible new design.

52 Likes

Nice. I LOVE the dragon.

9 Likes

Exceptional work!

8 Likes

Top-shelf craftsmanship in those. The engraved lyrics are the cherry on top.
Looks like magnets in the lid?

10 Likes

Thanks for the inspirational share. These are beautiful gifts. You have set the standard pretty high for gifts from you.

11 Likes

Amazing work. Music boxes are a step beyond! Just because your location does not reach the temps that your beautiful raccoon family is capable of, your artwork may well outlive you and see such temps. Even a mountain cabin some day.

6 Likes

Your photos were a nice start to my day today. The dragon music box is my favorite, but they are all lovely.

9 Likes

Those are all fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing your work with us.

6 Likes

Those are simply amazing!

7 Likes

Wow! Nice work!!

7 Likes

That dragon box is exquisite! Plus ‘Time in a Bottle’ is one of my favourite songs so total win there too :smiley:

8 Likes

Your dragon box is my favorite. The combination of the walnut and cherry really complements each other too.

8 Likes

The engravings are amazing. They turned out so well. And those low-end temps are pretty extreme…almost feels like you’d be jinxing the weather. Mountains gets pretty cold, but not that cold thankfully.

8 Likes

Wow! Those are gorgeous!

8 Likes

Really fine work there and inspiring.

6 Likes

Yep, Magnets in the top to hold the cover to the little compartment in the top. Not much of any place to put anything in the bottom, what with the music box mechanism.

6 Likes

If you look closely, the engravings almost look like I did them at a lower LPI, with some banding, but it turns out it is actually the grain in the wood that causes it. If I had the grain running vertical it wouldn’t have shown up. I learn new things every time I do a new project!
Thanks everyone for the compliments!

9 Likes

Oh, what lovely projects! I especially love the dragon box. Besides that gorgeous design, I really like the way you integrated the finger joints into the design.

4 Likes

It would just be crosshatched…

4 Likes

Awesome work!

3 Likes