I have been trying to get my etchings to land consistently in about the same place, on several different denim jean legs. I have a crumb tray replacement that measures exactly at 1.5" on my new calipers. I use the same calipers to find the depth of the material I’m using (fyi, that’s the thickness of the metal sheet I place inside the jeans leg, plus 2 layers of denim).
Here are the screen shots I’ve been taking of the app after the etch run is complete, showing both where the artwork is placed on-screen, plus where the etch actually lands. As you can see, the on-screen placement is up to 1" from finished placement.
I realize that I’ve had to learn Inkscape pretty much from the ground up, and may well have done something wrong in creating the artwork. If anyone else wants to test the files, I’d be more than happy to supply.
I’ve refined my process down to the point where I can get a relative good run on each of the 4 sides of the pant legs.
- Position metal sheet inside pant leg, and using magnets, try to get seam edge lined up correctly and rest of material flat, with extra behind the metal sheet.
- Place material into Glowforge, with rest of jeans folded under jig/down under laser head, and use ruler to position seam horizontally straight and equi-distance from inner front wall. Note: jig is created so there is a gap where the excess material/waistband can go out of the way.
- Make sure gantry arm can move back and forth, and side to side freely. Refold/scrunch until it does.
- Place thin cardboard on top of jeans, aligned with hem and seam edge, and hold with magnets.
- Open, RESIZE, and position artwork with best guess as to where it will end up.
- Run job.
- Stand at Glowforge to ensure test star (in each artwork, I positioned a star at the bottom/edge so that it is always the first thing that gets etched) is in correct place.
7a. If test star is not correctly placed, lift lid to stop job. On app, move artwork to correct placement (best guess again). Run job again. Repeat until test star lands correctly.
7b. When test star is correctly placed, great! Lift lid to stop job, and remove the cardboard. Run job again and allow to complete.
This process can include two or three attempts at correct placement until things are lined up well enough. So I can get it to a comfortable degree of placement, but it involved many more steps than I think it should. Also, I use Inkscape, and create the artwork to a specific height/width. When it uploads to the app, it appears much larger than the original, and has to be resized, which bothers me. It’s really going to be a pain when I move to cutting things out.