My attempt at ceramic tiles

After seeing all the cool posts with amazing looking ceramic tile pieces on here, I wanted to give it a try. Played with the settings a bit to get it to work better on my GF Basic. I DID mask the tile and colored it in with a black Sharpie with the masking tape still on, then removed the tape. Seemed to work better than without masking. Now I just need to be more patient and let the ink fully dry before removing the tape haha

BONUS PROJECT
Some friends of mine were jealous of the first wooden picture engrave I did of my wife and I, so I did one up for them of their little boy. Came out pretty good I think. Still getting better with editing photos for laser engraving. It’s a journey though, and I am enjoying it.

34 Likes

Not bad contrast on that wood engraving. Proofgrade?

3 Likes

Actually they were just cheap 6x6x1 “wooden panels” from a local arts and crafts store lol.

1 Like

Great job on the photo! Tile looks great too!

(Don’t know if you wanted to go slightly more expensive on the tiles, but there is an outfit called “LaserTiles” that creates tiles specifically designed to darken where lasered…and they come out super black and perfect every time. I don’t have the address handy, but @Xabbess for one could point you in the right direction. )

6 Likes

Thank you! I was surprised with how well the tile came out, and YES, I will have to look into those tiles…

EDIT:
WOAH! Those tiles aren’t cheap huh lol?

1 Like

They sit right in that sweet spot of “expensive and sketchy about when they’ll ship”. Pass.

2 Likes

Agreed. I will just practice more with coloring them in and keep working with what I have for now lol

Nice job on the wood engrave. Good luck on waiting until the paint dries.

2 Likes

Yeah… I don’t like to wait lol

The photo tile is really incredible. I’m still not anywhere close to where I want to be with photos.

Thank you! I’m not sure but I think it’s just birch plywood. I found a bunch of 6x6x1 wooden blocks a while back. They just have a plywood face, but I’m not sure what type of plywood they were. It took some trial and error however to get the photo to come out. Not too much though, I only wasted one of the wooden blocks before getting this one lol

1 Like

Great job! Love the picture!

1 Like

Thank you Sir!

1 Like

Thanks Ryan. I thought it was a regular ceramic tile so I was even more confused with how you came up with the coloring :wink:

1 Like

Not THAT would be impressive lol

This is what helped me make the jump to get a Glowforge in the first place I saw this and said
“Hey that looks wicked!”

https://community.glowforge.com/t/etching-tile/

Please beware this a a very large thread, a rabbit hole of unusual size :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I am pretty new here and it sure would be helpful to have step by step instructions for newbies. I get the speed and power references but when people mention varying power, LPI and dots…it leaves us newbies scratching our head. Not a rant as I REALLY appreciate all the info shared here, just some feedback that may help others in the future.
I jumped right in and tried this but didn’t know whether I was cutting, engraving or sketching. Also, never heard of varying power and really don’t know where that is located. Anyone have the time to give me a quick walk through? I don’t need everything explained, Just a little more detail would be awesome. Thanks in advance. I promise to pay it forward.

1 Like

The Glowforge team recommends working through your first prints by following along with the examples shown here to learn where everything is:

They have also recently added instructions with video on using the Manual settings here:
Working with Manual Settings

And there are methods for Enhancing your Photo Engraves and Cutting Out a Shape as well.

(You can click on the topic headers in the left-hand column for even more information.)

That particular page is also handy if you have any problems to Troubleshoot and you can always access it by clicking on the Support button in the app.

Once you have run through the sample prints, some of the customers have put together some handy Tips sheets and a lot of tutorials in the Tips and Tricks section of the forum.

Some good ones to start with:

Have fun! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

You are a blessing to me Jules. I got so excited about using my GF that I didn’t even realize I failed to complete my basic training. Once I had success (after about step 3), I jumped right in. Thanks again for sending all this info. Have a great day!

2 Likes