I’ve been working on this design for years. It’s the second one I’ve built. I the bird shape designed in Rhino and then put it through 3D Slicer.
On the first build, I hand-forged the metal collar on the bottom of the bird. Realizing this wasn’t practical, I decided to make the collar from 3" tube which meant I needed to resize everything. I struggled to accomplish this in Slicer for a while, and found a number of shortfalls in having the program do everything. In the end, I had to just play with actual test builds and refine in Illustrator.
The concrete base was really difficult. All I can say is “Concrete is hard. Really hard.”
Oh- Forgive me. I used clear acrylic for all the horizontal pieces. They add an edge light effect. The green acrylic gives it a kind of nice “almost” glass effect and the blue is just for a pretty color. Orange is pretty too. I used bronze on my first bird lamp. (See first one below.) Just a different look.