My Bird Lamp

I’ve been working on this design for years. It’s the second one I’ve built. I the bird shape designed in Rhino and then put it through 3D Slicer.

On the first build, I hand-forged the metal collar on the bottom of the bird. Realizing this wasn’t practical, I decided to make the collar from 3" tube which meant I needed to resize everything. I struggled to accomplish this in Slicer for a while, and found a number of shortfalls in having the program do everything. In the end, I had to just play with actual test builds and refine in Illustrator.

The concrete base was really difficult. All I can say is “Concrete is hard. Really hard.”

I’m happy, but taking a break for a while.

42 Likes

It is a lovely lamp, and it is clear that you learned lots from the experience of designing, refining and building it. Thanks for sharing.

13 Likes

Yeah this is nice, what’s the scoop on the colors?

11 Likes

The colors? They’re pretty

13 Likes

Yes they are, I was wondering if they are different colored acrylic or did you somehow paint them or is that just a trick of the light?

12 Likes

Wow, I love everything about it. The concrete for the base is super cool.

10 Likes

Concrete is hard… The bird is really nice. Congratulations.

11 Likes

Oh- Forgive me. I used clear acrylic for all the horizontal pieces. They add an edge light effect. The green acrylic gives it a kind of nice “almost” glass effect and the blue is just for a pretty color. Orange is pretty too. I used bronze on my first bird lamp. (See first one below.) Just a different look.

18 Likes

Fabulous! Really great!

9 Likes

That looks really cool! Would also be nice to make them for solar lights outside, if you had the right style lamp.

10 Likes

Looks gorgeous!

8 Likes

Awesome result!

5 Likes

The blue is a nice touch of color.

6 Likes

Looks great. I hope you have a nice feeling of accomplishment

6 Likes

Nice choice of colors! How are the acrylic pieces joined?

6 Likes

They just slide into one another. The metal collar holds it all together with hidden hot glue.

6 Likes

Very impressive build! I can’t wait to see what you make next using this process.

Is 3D Slicer a plug-in for Rhino, or is it a standalone program? If the latter, I’d like to know more about it.

4 Likes

It is a stand alone freeware. I used it when I was taking classes in digital design. (I haven’t touched it in a few years.)

5 Likes

Thanks for the link!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your inspiring project! This is ART. Love it.

3 Likes