My Catan Board So Far

While I understand you feel the need to parent people, pointing this out repeatedly in the forum is annoying. We are all adults in the forum and understand the moral and legal implications of copying others ideas, designs and works. Most of @julybighouse designs came from the Glowforge PDF which explicitly states the license.

Glowforge license

The remainder of the pieces he has spent hours designing himself. I am using the same Glowforge design for my tiles, own a 12 year old copy of the game and I’m replacing the tiles. I am completely in my right legally and morally to do so, and I do have free use of the Glowforge design as it states.

8 Likes

I did say that these were not copied, but as a creative who has had thousands of pounds worth of stuff illegally copied over the years I do feel strongly about this issue. Just because this game has copyright free materials does not mean all games do, which prompted me to put the full reminder in the main forum.

I know most folk here do not want to rip off another creative, but games are often not seen in the same way as other art.

Also, in the laser community as a whole there are an awful lot of images stolen for engravings all the time.

To @julybighouse, sorry for the hijack, and to be clear was not saying you took these designs.

5 Likes

I appreciate any forum member politely reminding folks about the forum rules, which do include the respect of copyright. In this case, the designs were commissioned by us and licensed for free use, and do not re-use any part of the Catan artwork other than noting that the pieces was designed to be used with the board game of that name. We also obtained written permission from the Catan rightsholders to ensure that there was no possibility of improper use.

Professionally, Glowforge exists in part to help designers make a living from their craft, and we work hard to support that. Personally, as a hobbyist board game designer myself, the last thing I want to do is see people ripping off board games!

Fortunately, that’s not what was happening here, but I appreciate the concern.

13 Likes

OK. So I finally have got everything together for an update. I’m nearly done! It’s been quite difficult to get everything JUST right.

Some things that I learned:

• If you are making more than the basic game you really want your tile pieces to be at most 1/8th of an inch thick, especially if you are going to put felt on the back of the pieces.
  • If you are making the boarders and intend to expand at any point to include the seafaring edition, you cannot put felt on the back of the boarders (the boarders are flipped upside down for Sea Farers
  • If you are making the boarders with the intention of the seafarers extension, you CANNOT make them with the pieces to lock them into the other resource tiles (flipping them over also flips the “tabs” and they won’t connect (ask me how I know…)
  • If you are not putting felt on the back of the boarders, you should make them 1/4 inch thick to compensate.
  • This project is harder than I first thought, especially since I decided to expand it.

Here are a few pictures of the tiles in the middle of being finished:

Check out the difference that applying the finish does! The one on the right is pre-lacquer, the one on the left is post-lacquer.

And of course I decided to make it even more difficult and make a box to hold it all in.

I’ve got a few things to add to the box (handles, corner and edge protection pieces). Then I have to decide if I’m going to make the player pieces (roads, settlements, cities, walls, knights, ships) and either paint them or make them out of 6 differently colored woods.

Welp, that’s my latest update on the Catan Board. Need to get this completely finished by Thanksgiving.

24 Likes

That looks like a lot of work. I didn’t know that the game was that big. Your box looks fantastic too. Is that non-proof grade walnut? :grinning:

1 Like

Ohhh yeah, like that box for it! :grinning:

The only part of this project made from Proofgrade material was the number chips. EVERYTHING else is wood that I prepared myself from raw stock, tested, cut and in some cases had to redo as I discovered certain things just didn’t work the way I wanted.

Yes, the Box is made from Walnut, Mahogany and Curly Maple, but none of it was proofgrade.

4 Likes

The box was something of a solution to an issue I had. I needed the box to be 12.5" x 12.5" but I only had 6" wide walnut. I made the design so that I wouldn’t have to use anything larger than 6" wide. The center square is actually 6" x 6", the largest square I could do.

3 Likes

Wow…I’m impressed!! And that box is perfect!!

2 Likes

It’s very striking! Beautiful work.

1 Like

What a beautiful heirloom set! You will have to bequeath it to someone someday! :smile:

Gorgeous! Any reason why this isn’t in Made on a Glowforge? :slight_smile:

I’m actually giving it to my parents and I’m expecting it to become an heirloom set to be handed down some day.

1 Like

Thanks @dan!

couple short reasons for right now

1. it’s not 100% done
  2. I need some “glamor” shots (real camera and not my phone)
  3. In case you were thinking of publishing it outside the forum, I didn’t want you to do that until AFTER Thanksgiving when I give it to my parents. I know they don’t read the forums, I don’t know if they get any glowforge updates on something like facebook or other platform
3 Likes

:slight_smile: Totally your call, just curious.

1 Like

It will certainly be going into the Made on a Glowforge category, but I’ll just wait till after Thanksgiving. :smiley:

1 Like

That is FANTASTIC!!!
Gosh, you’ve got a real skill there!

1 Like

It’s been a long journey to get here (you should see all the pieces I’ve had to redo), but I’m mostly happy with how everything has turned out.

Eventually, I think I’ll be making a simpler version of just the basic game to sell on my etsy site. I’m looking forward to working with some artist friends of mine to purchase their artwork for the various tiles so I know 100% that I’m not going to violate ANY copyrights and can sell a unique set.

3 Likes