My Company Logo Coaster

Here is a mango wood coaster with a live edge that I engraved my company logo into. I love the way it turned out and it opens up a ton of possibilities for both advertisement and Christmas presents.

Made by: Oak Creek Guitars

IG: @Oak_Creek_Guitars

27 Likes

Beautiful - and I bet the reverse engraving would look just as sweet.

Nice logo :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes. Reverse engraving would be equally as cool. Good eye. Thanks for the compliment on the logo. I designed it myself.

3 Likes

Looks great! What are you finishing them with to help stand up to liquids?

I did the Johnson plastics saddle collection coasters with my company logos on them this past year for Christmas gifts-came out great and now I have plenty of my clients doing advertising for me by using my coasters in their conference rooms :smile:

2 Likes

Thank you. Mango wood is naturally oily, so it has a nice water repellent quality but also is just absorbant enough that I don’t finish them with anything. Cedar also has the same properties. If I’m making coasters out of another wood I generally finish with boiled linseed oil. Too protected and it will just divert the condensation of an overly sweaty drink right on to the desk. Thanks for checking it out.

2 Likes

As I was writing that, I was wondering about if mango wood was one that would hold up well naturally-we have a mango wood dresser, but I’ve never worked with it. Thanks for the info!

1 Like

Neat!

What settings do you get that engrave depth with, and what do you clean the scorched wood with?

Per forum guidelines (and friendly lawyers), you can’t discuss settings for non-Proofgrade material in this forum, only in Beyond the Manual.

Love the live edge, and the logo is great!

2 Likes

That looks fabulous! I love the rustic, yet polished look. Well done!

1 Like

Thank you so much and welcome to the Glowforge community.

Sorry for the newbie question… How did you minimize the look of the burnt wood and more importantly how did you maintain some of the peaks and valleys of the grain of the wood where are you engraved. In some situations I would prefer the engraved part to look more ruff and follow the natural grain than the smooth look I’ve been achieving.

1 Like

Thank you for your questions. I chose a little more aggressive engraving setting so the logo would be a little deeper than a regular burn. After the cut I ran the piece under the faucet and used a toothbrush to remove any of the burnt material. This made a huge difference. Granted, I know you can’t run most of the engraved pieces under the faucet, a vacuum with a whisker brush will work too. As for the “peaks and valleys” mostly it depends on the grain of the wood that is being engraved. In this instance, the mango wood has a mixture of tight denser grain mixed with softer grain running through it. This is why there is a variance in depth of the cut. I’d suggest playing with the settings and experimenting with different woods to see how they engrave. Good luck and thanks for checking out my work.

1 Like

Checked out your website…Way cool. I played bass in a blues band for many years.

Oooo so cool. Great logo! I have some fresh mango wood here. Still haven’t looked for a kiln