My first cake topper ;P

I’ve made a lot of stuff, but never one of these. Gkid turns 10 next week, though, and that calls for something special. :slight_smile:

42 Likes

Sweet! I wish my kiddo wasn’t so old and too cool for stuff like this! Plus I got over making her birthday cakes years ago (turns out it was a good thing because now she’s got celiac so everything has to be tasteless, err, I mean, gluten free)

4 Likes

That’s one fabulous cake topper! :moon_cake:

4 Likes

Edge lit with LEDs beneath the frosting? :wink:

Looks great, I like that font!

3 Likes

It’s Desire Script from FontBundles. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Snazzy!

3 Likes

How old is that? I’m not there yet. :wink: I wish someone would make me an amazing cake topper!

3 Likes

She’s 13. Too old for parties that aren’t giant sleepovers or going to movies, and wouldn’t be caught dead being the recipient of happy birthday singing :grin:

2 Likes

Ahhh, she’ll get over it. :wink:

3 Likes

I love putting cake toppers on for birthdays. Everyone deserves a bit of bling. The transparent yellow is very bright and cheerful.

1 Like

Awww… I’ve got a 12 year old daughter and a 14 year old son. They get cake toppers. Let them try to tell me I can’t stick a cake topper on their cakes!

Actually, for my son’s 14th birthday, his topper was an elephant with a big ball in red acrylic. He loved it. But he’s also a total goofball.

3 Likes

Ooooh! Love a good cake topper! It is just that extra touch that makes the cake extra cool! Your design is cool, too! Love the font, too!

2 Likes

Nice! The celiac has put a big hamper on birthday cakes. Everything gluten free is half the size of regular stuff and three times as expensive. But, since I never had a way to make cake toppers before, it didn’t really occur to me this year. Maybe I’ll see how it goes over next year!

2 Likes

My son has nut allergies, so I do a lot of baking myself at this point. I like doing it and the kids love eating it, so it works out here.

Celiac is tough. My son had a friend with celiac when he was little and I was always anxious about baking when he was going to be present. But I always make it a point to accommodate as many food challenges as I can so all of the kids can enjoy the party equally.

I started out thinking I would, but to make cake flour you need like 3 different kinds of flour, plus xanthan gum, plus a couple more kinds of starches (all of which are difficult to find in actual stores). And that’s just in hopes it doesn’t come out tasting like cardboard! I used to bake a lot of her cakes back in the old days, but my one attempt at the GF baking was a miserable failure when I somehow didn’t mix up the flours correctly and my doughnut batter was too runny. I have figured out how to make a mean Belgian waffle gluten free though, and her friends actually request them when they come over, so it doesn’t have to be all bad. Just a lot of trial and error. Like Glowforging :smiley:

1 Like

Oh, yeah, no. For celiac I use a good box mix.:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Have you tried going a different route? Make a stack of crepes out of rice flour batter and add whipped cream filling layers in between - which could be flavored - strawberries, whatever…

3 Likes

That’s a good idea! This year we just ordered a cake from a specialty bakery. It was really good, but really small and very expensive. I keep meaning to just do a little experimenting, but honestly she’s just as happy with the gluten free brownies and/or Funfetti cupcakes (they have a GF version that actually isn’t terrible). She’s very sweet in that she makes us also get a regular cake for all the attendees so they don’t have to be subjected to GF baked goods :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re way over-thinking it. Magnificent cake doesn’t require rocket science (I worked in a bakery for several years.)

Don’t let one failure dissuade you.

1 Like

Hmmm my birthday is next month. I guess I will have to make one for me :slight_smile:

4 Likes