My first experiment with conventional jigsaw puzzles

That looks to have huge potential! I think I’ll take baby steps and try putting a photo on photo paper and adhering it next but that transfer film looks wonderful for a more advanced technique.

1 Like

Puzzles will be great to give as gifts. Hoping photos will adhere and cut well.

1 Like

There are other ways to do transfers but I think the Supersauce method would give the best results in this instance. It isn’t too difficult but does take some practice to get a perfect transfer.

I’ve only done five so far but I was combining it with some other alt-process techniques so I wasn’t looking for perfect. :wink:

2 Likes

Not sure if it works out to be cheaper, but your comments make it sound like so:

No need to get fancy for photo transfer

4 Likes

Yes, that is another method. Two things to note about it:

• It only works with a laser printed photo, inkjets need not apply.

• Be prepared to spend a lot of time rubbing the back of the paper off the mage.

I’ve not used this method but have seen it used and it does give satisfactory results. Again, practice required to get a perfect image. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just played with the small puzzle file that was included in the :glowforge: GUI. Here are a few examples. My 14 year old when he was a puppy and a friend’s son (he gave me permission to post).

I used weatherproof polyester labels that I got here.

They are laser printer only, but print up really nicely and adhere well. I have used them for full color car window decals and have had some that are going strong after 9 months. Draftboard is a great material for this. Super smooth and cuts well. I removed the masking on the board and set it aside, then applied the print and reapplied the mask. Burnish it down well. It won’t affect the print. My first try wasn’t stuck down well enough and peeled up when cut. My first little flare up and quick job abort.

The cost is about $0.50 per letter sized sheet, so not too bad for puzzle toys.

24 Likes

This is awesome. Thanks for experimenting for the rest of us!

Quick question: what do you use to stick the photo down to the draftboard ?

1 Like

This is a really cool procedure. I’ll bet it could be used in other ways, too. Thanks for sharing it!

That is great to know…I get a lot of stuff from Online Labels. (They have some great waterproof labels for labeling spice jars that have to go into the fridge.) :grinning:

1 Like

These are adhesive labels. I believe the bond improves over time.

I guess I’m confused. I thought the labels were for putting the shiny surface on the photo. Because to get the photo to stick to the draftboard, don’t you need a double-stick type of surface?

These are super waterproof and very thin. Probably the combo of the polyester and laser printing.

1 Like

Nope. The photo is printed on a slightly shiny white sticker material sheet that you just run through the laser printer, then peel off the backing and stick to the draftboard.

2 Likes

These are great!

I am personally looking for something higher end but your techneqe will come in handy for many things.

I’m about to run up to Michal’s and get some glue/laminater and then to HF for some foam brushes…

I have masking on the way, everyone needs some but I like how you reused yours. Oh! I need to get a roller while I’m out.

5 Likes

Oh I see now. Thanks!

1 Like

That’s pretty great. It looks like they also make a similar product for inkjet as well.
https://www.onlinelabels.com/Products/OL177WJ.htm?measureunit=decimals

2 Likes

The problem with that one is it is vinyl based.

1 Like

I’m looking, but I’m not seeing where it states the material.

It’s deep, if you don’t find it I’ll post it when I get home to a real computer.

I dug around a bit. But if you don’t mind posting it, that’d be great. Of course, if you don’t feel like it, I won’t mind! :wink: