My first finished project (Layered clock)

Finished making my first clock last Sunday. My plan is to make a range of designs inspired by Hawaiian plantation houses and local landmarks all in different colors. My ultimate goal is to make cuckoo clocks with high quality mechanical movements. I’m just getting rolling and I still have a lot to learn. Let me know what you think and if you’d like to follow my progress I am @halekoohi

Mahalo,
Brant

73 Likes

Stunning! I love your choice of colour on this example.

10 Likes

Is this actually mechanical??

Is that a pendulum hanging down from behind?

(I only ask because you mentioned “cuckcoo clocks”!)

7 Likes

This one is a quartz pendulum movement. It seemed like a safe place to start because the mechanical movements start at around $200. Ill get there.

7 Likes

Pretty green… what did you use to paint it with?

7 Likes

Wow if this is your first project I can’t wait to see what else you come up with.
Welcome to the Forum.

9 Likes

I bought this sample dye powder pack and mixed the blue and yellow. I plan to make red, blue, and black versions as well.

Wood Dye - Aniline Dye 5 Color Kit - Wood Stain Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BAKWTMQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_BWKBVNGN0XG59S3BH0ZQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

6 Likes

Thanks Eddie. I’m working on several ideas. A grass shack and a pineapple cannery are a couple. I might lean a little harder into the whole tiki thing as well.

4 Likes

This is delightful. Great start!

6 Likes

Great work! Love the Hawaiian theme entwined with cuckoo clock vibe. Can’t wait to see more of your work!

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum. This is such a cool clock! I love the 3D effect of the house in front of the trees, and the porch standing out in front of the clock, with the plants in front. While I like the green, I do wonder how it would look if it was more colors, like gray rocks, and leaving the house and tiki just plain (including any scorch marks!), yellow sun (or white moon) and the plumeria white. I know it would have taken a little longer to do it, but I think that would be stunning. But man, I am so impressed! I cannot wait to see your other designs!

9 Likes

Great design, elegant shapes and appealing popouts. And the monochromatic treatment is perfect!

7 Likes

Wow, wonderful first project! I love it. Welcome! Can’t wait to see others you make!

7 Likes

Very cool and tropical! Love the Tiki! :grinning:

6 Likes

Very fun. Love the color too!

6 Likes

Great first project

6 Likes

This is beautiful…on so many levels. Or should I say on so many ‘layers’.

7 Likes

Love it! I’m looking forward to see where you go with the series!

4 Likes

This is fantastic. So many levels and beautiful details. The choice of color is perfect.

2 Likes

Mad respect! Really a cool design, the color and material choice really make it pop. The clock with the pendulum is super cool, quartz movement or not. Nicely done!

6 Likes