My first Glowforge creation - a Herringbone Dollhouse Bed!

Once my kids finally allowed me to use my own machine, (kidding not kidding) this is the first design that I created!! I’m super happy with how it turned out. I went high end with the piece of proofgrade walnut that came with my glowforge purchase. I first engraved the headboard and footboard, and then glued the cut frame pieces over top. The base of the bed is simply a solid piece of pine. (side note: sewing mini pillows is HARD!) Can’t wait to make more pieces!

42 Likes

This is gorgeous. Can’t wait to see what’s next for you!

5 Likes

Thanks! The possibilities feel endless right now which is almost overwhelming haha

4 Likes

Totally agree. I had a reason for getting the GF (cutting bookboard for bookbinding) that I’ve not even tried. Also, I had an idea for a first project that I still haven’t done 2 years later. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I bought mine to cut leather for zekkens…I haven’t cut a single one. The only leather I cut so far was for a passport wallet I designed…and it was so stinky I’ve been put off on trying again.

@Brandi This is a cute bed. What scale is it? I had to look up a chart for dollhouse scale. I made a queen sized bed for 1/12 using that chart…but apparently it’s the size of a Barbie bed. :rofl:

3 Likes

Oh man I feel you. There are just so many things to make and so little time! I haven’t been brave enough to try leather yet because of the smell but I did make a bookmark with vegan leather. The dollhouse is 1:12 size which is standard dollhouse seze. Barbie size should be labeled as 1:6 scale. The rule of thumb is every foot in real life = one inch in 1:12 scale. Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It gets hard when it comes down to inches. Personally, I think it is the right size, but the right size for a queen bed, which probably isn’t normally put into a dollhouse. So I made a full and twin just to be safe. Twin seems to have been the winner. Customer said it was the perfect size.
This was the test of the queen I made…it does look a little big, I made several other versions until I got it right.

14 Likes

Welcome. It looks like your Glowforge will be a big help for making mini things. Nice job.

4 Likes

Wow! That’s like going out for a jog and doing a marathon!

2 Likes

This is so adorable!

2 Likes

This is super cute, well done!

2 Likes

Very pretty! A nice use of your walnut!

3 Likes

Really Awesome!!! I love Miniatures! Great job on the Pillows! Welcome to the Community! Can’t wait to see more of this!

2 Likes

Thank you! Yes I’m so excited to experiment

Thanks so much! Those teeny pillows were not easy :joy:

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks so much!