My first leather projects

I did this first wallet about a month ago:

It is made from 3 oz veg tan leather. The squid image something I found online, but I make the wallet pattern in Inkscape.

There are a couple of flaws that made good learning experiences. I masked both sides of the leather before doing the engraving and the black smudges around the squid are charred tape and adhesive that stained the leather as I was trying to remove the masking. After a few months of use, most of the marks have faded and what is left looks like normal wear and tear.

There is also an extra hole on one side and a missing stitch on on the other because I forgot to flip the outside pattern before cutting it and there are different numbers of stitches on either side.

I had to find a birthday present for an avid kayaker so I decided to make another one.

This time I made fewer mistakes and added designs to the inside as well as the outside.

IMG_1279

51 Likes

Lovely gift! :grinning:

1 Like

That’s a very nice wallet design. I like both #1 and #2.

1 Like

Love that squid image, it’s perfect for a wallet.
Some mistakes to less mistakes, sounds like progress!

1 Like

They’re both very nice! Have to say I especially love the kayak one … reminds me of a friend. Nice job!

Thanks. The squid is fun but the fact that the kayak is my own design makes it more satisfying.

3 Likes

Yes the squid design is awesome. It engraved on to wood really well too.

Good job. Custom details make it more than just a wallet.

1 Like

Great applications of those images on leather!! Anyone have some good sources of leather materials?

I ended up buying an entire side of 2-3 oz veg tan from the Leather Guy (theleatherguy.com). I have not shopped around, but I was happy with what I got. There are a few flaws on the top side, but they are minor and I think the flaws don’t detract from the stuff I am making with the large saddle stitched seams and unburnished edges.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info! That’s helpful! I did order some sample from Rich
Leather International (www4hides.com) which was a source listed by other
owners.