My first major project

50 Likes

You made THAT? This is such a cool looking clock. Tell us more about how you did it. :grinning:

3 Likes

Oooh! Love it! :sunglasses::+1:

3 Likes

I have made this clock before on a CNC router so when i got my GF I new i just had to try it on there. I bought a sheet of 1/4 Cherry plywood that I found that measured .243 instead of the .250 Birch plywood the plans called for and it worked out fine. The clock runs using a battery operated coil and a magnet on the back of the pendulum and will run for about 3 months on a set of batteries

13 Likes

Now that is a cool clock!

3 Likes

Wow, amazing! I’m thinking it cut a bit faster on your Glowforge, yes?

4 Likes

Spectacular

2 Likes

Spectacular and doubly so for a first piece! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Wicked cool clock.

2 Likes

I’ve been looking for a solid battery-operated mechanism. Working out the kinks to minimize friction, maximize timekeeping accuracy, and not have to wind the darn thing every 3 hours has proven a little much for me to tackle. Do you have any suggestions?

1 Like

You need to check out this website (https://holzmechanik.de/en.html) as a start and there are several others that have similar things to work on, i have made the magica and the zentira and both came with some very good cad files and a well thought out manual. I honestly wish I could say that i thought this up myself or designed it myself but that does not mean that I did not make some changes and still made it work. Good luck

3 Likes

Thanks for the pointer! I was specifically looking for an off-the-shelf solution for the solenoid coil. I’m struggling to find that component. When it comes to making gears and calculating ratios I am set - I just need to find the battery operated motor!

2 Likes

Wicked cool!

1 Like

That is so cool! Now I feel inspired to make my first project!

2 Likes

Ugh, this is so cool! I am seriously obsessed with the gear work.

1 Like

@tclear01 you should check out the following suppliers which might have what you are looking for:

carveshop.com

klockit.com

The latter has the Quartex® Pendulum Quartz Clock Movement which is cannibalized to make the Magica run.

As @jjrcflyer59 did, I am currently building the Magica from the plans purchased from holzmechanik.de . I will post pictures when it is finished.

1 Like