My first original - an oversized Ivy luggage tag

I am so excited to have made my first original piece! I have a sorority regional conference coming up so I decided to make a big luggage tag. The back (which isn’t shown) has my name. Here is the front. I used Proofgrade Medium Basswood Plywood. I think I used regular settings for all. I made the svg in illustrator. In order to get the writing to show up in the GFUI, I selected the text and clicked “Create Outlines” and then saved as svg. Once I imported it into the GFUI, I applied the CUT setting for the ivy leaf and the hole and then used the ENGRAVE setting for the letters. I figure I can use leather for the strap and thread it through the hole. I am happy with how it looks but wonder if I can get it to look better. Maybe I should add some texture to it? What do you think? I don’t remember the font I used. I should have taken a pic before closing the UI.

23 Likes

Looks good, but that stem likely won’t last in the hands of any baggage handlers.

8 Likes

Looks great! Nothing like the feeling of that first piece that’s all your own.

2 Likes

Good point!!!

1 Like

Good point!

Make it out of leather?

2 Likes

Hard to get both sides with information but you could glue two pieces together before cutting, Another way is to have the design in a circle for support,

2 Likes