My first real project

Took me a while to get the hang of Inkscape but persistence paid off.
1/4" HD Birch Plywood with GF Teal Acrylic inset. About 3 hours of Inkscape work and 90 minutes of engraving. Clearance frame from Hobby Lobby, $5.99. Image is 13x10.
I’ve since ordered some hardwood to do this on since there are a few imperfections in the plywood that I don’t care for. Once it’s stained, I’m hoping they blend in better.

Can’t wait to see what I come up with next!

58 Likes

Gorgeous! For a first project you nailed it. Can’t wait to see what else you do :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Nice work.

4 Likes

Yes, your persistence certainly did pay off. Nice project.

4 Likes

That’s beautiful! Very, very well done!

4 Likes

Sweet! Great first project. I think it turned out fantastic and it looks great in that frame!

4 Likes

Love it!

4 Likes

Great first real project! Your persistence paid off well.

4 Likes

Very well done. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Beautiful first project. You really jumped in with both feet to do something so complex.

3 Likes

Thank you. This one is basic compared to the one I’m trying to complete now. I did this one while the other one was drying… Created a Well Wishes board for my soon-to-be grandson, I had everyone at the Baby Shower write a well wish which I then transferred to medallions that I engraved and cut out. I am now putting a countertop epoxy on it so seal the entire project!
I’ve got 2 coats of 8 done with the epoxy.

20190611_125450|666x500

6 Likes

Apparently you can only attach two files to a reply?

9 Likes

Wow, you really go all out! I really like that framed map, and the rustic frame is perfect for it.

3 Likes

This is a stunning project! Looks great!

Congrats on your grandson … Fabulous board!

1 Like

I have been wanting to do this forever with a lake near my hometown. I am having a lot of difficulty learning Inkscape.

1 Like

I encourage you to keep trying. I didn’t know Inkscape less than a year ago either and now I can do most things I need to do. Still learning too. A good resource on youtube:

4 Likes

Nice job! I can see you are bitten by the GF bug. Awesome! Question on Inkscape. I’ve been working with Illustrator, but am not an expert. For those who have used both programs, which seems easier for project work in GF? Sorry to get off topic.

Rich

1 Like

Whichever one you’re most comfortable with. I prefer AI, but that’s because I’ve been using it longer. They each have pluses and minuses-it only starts to get confusing if you try to jump between one or another.

2 Likes

I consider myself very proficient in Photoshop but Illustrator is like driving blind for me. I found that InkScape worked more like Photoshop so I picked it up fairly quickly and learned how to manipulate things the way my mind works, which may not be the proper way, but I was able to make it work and after 10 or so hours of working with it, I was pretty quick and was waiting for my hand and mouse clicks to catch up with my brain :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is encouraging. I also am also more proficient with photoshop. I may give Inkscape a shake. As Jules says, I’ll likely stick with one or the other after I see which shoe fits best.

Cheers!

Rich

1 Like