My first shot at weathering birch plywood after engraving

![202107

This is my first attempt at weathering birch plywood (tried to make it look like an old wooden ammo can). After engraving and cutting it out, I used instant coffee to darken the birch. Then sprayed on some shellac. Filled in the engraving with acrylic paint and sanded. Finally I sprayed on a flat UV clear coat.

26 Likes

Believe it or not tea bags are the BEST for ageing - here are some labels I aged…

[the dust is because i am a bad housekeeper, not to make it look more genuine]

PS: WELCOME MAV!!!

[Editors Note] I was asked how I made the labels, I found old medical labels on the internet, printed it out on plain paper on my color inkjet, the cut to size, then soaked on wet teabags for a few hours, let dry in sun, added double stick to back and wala!

17 Likes

How do you think it turned out. I think it’s nice

2 Likes

That’s a great weathering effect. I would try it, but I never have any leftover coffee…That paint color would be a dead ringer for copper patina; did you do anything special for it? (Retired Army here–I love the Jeep!)

Welcome to the community, and thanks for sharing this work.

4 Likes

@Mav welcome to the community.
I think you nailed the weathered look. Congratulations!

3 Likes

Welcome! I think your weathering worked well, very authentic font and art work also.

1 Like

This is a logo I did for a friends shop window a couple of years back. Wanted to do something different than all black. Went through the paint shelf and found a color called greenscape. Applied it after letting the shellac dry, then applied a watered down black acrylic over it, then sanded taking half of the shellac off, then flat cleared.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum! I think your design looks great!

2 Likes

Those look great! And thanks for explaining how you did it. Do you use all the “poisons” to keep people away from your EOs? :joy: And I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who doesn’t dust!! :rofl:

3 Likes

I think you did a stellar job!!

1 Like