My First time using pass through

So you don’t have an interface that looks like this?

1 Like

Can you share a screenshot of your interface.

I’ll be home in a few minutes and send you a pic. Thanks for helping!

1 Like

Oh no, I’m sorry to hear about the trouble @m1979breanne.

To help us better understand, could you include, could you please send me a screenshot of what you see in the Glowforge app when this happens? Make sure to include the rulers in your screenshot and show as much of the bed as possible

To take a screenshot:

• Mac: Press Shift-Command-4 and click and drag a box around your image. You’ll find the screenshot file saved on your desktop.
  • Windows: Click on the Start Menu and type “snipping tool”. Open the Snipping Tool > New then click and drag a box around your image. Click the Save icon and name and save your file.

If you haven’t done so already, will you read the section titled “Extra Pointers” on our Pro Passthrough support page, and then run a test print? The design we use has some known dimensions built into it and it will help me extract logs afterward to take a closer look.

Here are the steps for the test:
  1. Load a sheet of material into the Pro Passthrough slot and ensure that the portion sticking out of the printer is supported so the material lies flat on the crumb tray inside the printer.

2. Double-check that the material is completely flat against the crumb tray. A quick way to do this is to press gently on the material where it rests on the tray and feel if it moves. If not, you’re good.

3. It can help to use pins to hold the material flat against the tray. For example, a lot of customers use small pieces of scrap to print these pins available in the free laser design section.

4. Open the Smooth Curves Stencil from your design library.

5. Turn on the Pro Passthrough feature in the menu bar.

6. Select the entire design, and arrange it so that the dotted line at the top of the work area is at the tips of the arrows in the design

7. Click Print and run the first section of the design.

8. After the first section completes, move your material through the Pro Passthrough slot so the printed area is more than 3 inches (7.62 cm) away from the front of the Glowforge.

9. Follow the prompts and run the 2nd portion of the test print.

After the test print completes, please send us the following:
  • Photos of the front and back of the finished print.

• The date and time you ran the test along with your time zone.

• A photo of the bottom of your print head showing the lens and both windows.

Thank you for sending us this information. We’ll retrieve the data from this test print, review everything and follow up with the next steps.

Attachments

1 Like

Thank you so much for being willing to help! I got overwhelmed with our renovations, and now I’m out of town. I’m hoping to work on it tomorrow :blush:

On Sunday, December 5, 2021, Glowforge <support@glowforge.zendesk.com> wrote:

As a owner of a Pro I appreciate the run-through you provided! I haven’t done much with the passthrough yet, but this will help tremendously when I do, thanks!!

Hey I’m finally back to my project! This is what it looks like.

I’m sorry pass through wasn’t turned on. Here it is

You will need to move the artwork over so that it fits to get past the “no artwork” message. Also, you need to slide your artwork up. It appears that the letter is going to be too big.

so are you saying that the greyed out square needs to fit the width of the machine? I was hoping to turn the j later to fit the bottom half and piece it together.

If you want to piece something together, make separate files. The passthrough is designed to make a continuous cut of a single file.

Hi @m1979breanne. Thanks for getting back to us with the added screenshots to help address the Passthrough troubleshooting. @dklgood gave some great advice to try adjusting the file into separate pieces to help run the print, but if that does not help I have some further suggestions to help continue any troubleshooting.

First, I noticed that the design may encounter some trouble aligning between cuts due to the small amount of features in the original design. The Glowforge will try to locate markers of design between print slices. To aid with this process, you can try adding a few small shapes near the edges of your design in places where there are very few lines or features, and set them to be scored during the print. This will provide more areas for Pro Passthrough to use when aligning the print.

Next, if you are continuing to run into other Passthrough print attempts failing, it could help to get a good baseline performance of the printer by having you run the test print Jeremy mentioned earlier:

Here are the steps for the test:

1. Load a sheet of material into the Pro Passthrough slot and ensure that the portion sticking out of the printer is supported so the material lies flat on the crumb tray inside the printer.

2. Double-check that the material is completely flat against the crumb tray. A quick way to do this is to press gently on the material where it rests on the tray and feel if it moves. If not, you’re good.

3. It can help to use pins to hold the material flat against the tray. For example, a lot of customers use small pieces of scrap to print these pins available in the free laser design section.

4. Open the Smooth Curves Stencil from your design library.

5. Turn on the Pro Passthrough feature in the menu bar.

6. Select the entire design, and arrange it so that the dotted line at the top of the work area is at the tips of the arrows in the design

7. Click Print and run the first section of the design.

8. After the first section completes, move your material through the Pro Passthrough slot so the printed area is more than 3 inches (7.62 cm) away from the front of the Glowforge.

9. Follow the prompts and run the 2nd portion of the test print.

After the test print completes, please send us the following:

• Photos of the front and back of the finished print.

• The date and time you ran the test along with your time zone.

• A photo of the bottom of your print head showing the lens and both windows.

Let me know if that has any trouble printing, and I can review it in the log files for any next steps needed.

Kind regards,

ok. so the grey box needs to fit the width of the machine?

Yes. The passthrough allows you to print things of infinite length, but you are still limited to the width of the machine’s capabilites - roughly 19.5".

ok I made it smaller. but still says no artwork
263590109_433968798360859_338858974899060117_n

I can’t tell by your photo what is causing the problem. What is the size of your letter? Can you share a clearer pic?

263237214_306782124595748_2361677813625597126_n

Oh wow! I was trying to feed from the front, rather than the back! Got it now lol

@m1979breanne Aha - I’m glad you were able to catch that and get back on track! Please let us know if there’s ever anything else we can do to help.