My first try at an escutcheon

So not only is this one of my first prints/try at an escutcheon, but this is also my first post.

I printed this Finding Nemo inspired design on medium draft board. On the first run the button cutout was just a hair too small, so I tried cutting a slightly larger circle over the already cut one and now its a little too large (doh!). Thought it might be cool to print this in acrylic which I haven’t taken a crack at yet. But, any thoughts, advice, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

45 Likes

That is cute! I haven’t had much luck engraving images in acrylic yet, but if you try just remember to mirror the image, so that the rough engraved part will be on the bottom and the smooth part on top and then everything will read the same way when you put it on.

3 Likes

Haha, the angler fish is a great idea! Welcome to the funhouse. :grin:

2 Likes

Welcome! This is one of the top ascutcgeons I’ve seen so far! Love it!

2 Likes

Thank you for the tip! I can’t wait to give acrylic a shot.

1 Like

Thank you!!

I’m thinking in that application the thick acrylic would rise above the button, perhaps allowing the light to illuminate the design better by edge lighting it…? Edge lit acrylic is a favorite use of acrylic for me.

Exactly what I was thinking. I thought instead of cutting the button cutout to fit around the silver band, make it smaller to fit around the button for more light to pass through. I think two layers would be cool too for added depth? Bottom layer angler, top Dori and Marlon?

2 Likes

Sounds like a fun treasure hunt! :sunglasses:
Experimenting with materials has been some of the most fun I’ve had with this thing.

2 Likes

LOL! That’s fabulous :smiley:

Honestly your engrave of Nemo and Dory are so beautiful, and that won’t show up like that on acrylic. The thing I might suggest you do it score the lines for the rest of the angler fish so you can see the teeth etc.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, I agree a little more detail on the angler is needed

1 Like

I really like the detail as it is as the angler is not immediately obvious. If it becomes too obvious the joke is revealed too soon :rofl:

2 Likes

:smile:Thanks, good point. I was going for the shadow in the background feel like in the movie. I was thinking of putting the same amount of teeth on the opposite cheek to help balance the mouth out at least.

1 Like

Welcome and keep up the good work.

1 Like

2 Likes

I was thinking of the angler fish facing forward (perhaps with a smile :slightly_smiling_face:) but it would likely have the same issues of being too obvious.

1 Like

Yes, it’s tricky trying to add as much detail of the fish as possible whilst also trying to make it inconspicuous :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I am thinking that the view could be a bit higher and the friends in front hiding most of the teeth. Still, I would not add much detail. And Nemo and Dory in colored acrylic so they stuck out and the Angler just a shape with minimum detail.

3 Likes

You’ll have to wait until I stop laughing…I’m kind of slow some days. Once I saw the teeth though, “the light went on!”

3 Likes