My First Tutorial Video - Make a Simple Box

Happy Monday everyone!

So I decided to start making video tutorials to help those using Illustrator. Here is the first one. Hope you like! If you have ideas for other videos or some great constructive criticism, I am all ears! Have a great day everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVYcvPIpxPc

20 Likes

About time! Just teasing, but thanks for finally making tutorial videos!

2 Likes

HAHAHA…It took all day to get it in one take. I know how to edit videos with Premiere but i really wanted it to be just one take. I will get better at them.

4 Likes

You should move this to Glowforge Tips and Tricks for posterity!

2 Likes

I will do that. Just wanted to get some feedback so I can make better ones. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great vid! (Move it!) :grinning:

move it move it

2 Likes

HAHAHA! I hate you (only a little) for putting that song into my head!!!

2 Likes

Figured I shouldn’t be the only one humming it all day. :smile:

2 Likes

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Well there are at least 2 now. LOL

1 Like

Any advice on the video? Things done right, things to work on?

1 Like

Wouldn’t change a thing. :slightly_smiling_face:
(Got a request for the next one - custom brushes and/or using the blending tool. Both of which are a little clunky in CS5…I want to see if CC is much better. Might actually have to finally upgrade.)

2 Likes

OK. What kind of blending? Shapes? and what kind of brushes?

1 Like

I use Pattern style brushes to create quick resizeable frames and things like dashed patterns for scoring or cutting…coming up with the corner designs are a bit challenging. (I’m sure I’m doing it wrong, but it’s not terribly intuitive trying to get the corner shape loaded into the brush. It works sometimes if I’m lucky.)

For the blending…was thinking of how to use it to create a layered mandala type of thing, but not a mandala shape. I’m working with a rectangular shape. (Very early in the idea stage for that one, so anything would likely help.)

2 Likes

Great suggestions! Yeah the brushes can be hit or miss depending on the complexity of the image. But I will work on that one.

As for shapes, I will do a Layered piece with blending shapes it’s so fast in CC. You can make a layered Mandala or another type of piece in minutes. I will probably do a mandala cause I think people will want to see that. But the same action applies to other things as well.

1 Like

Not an illustrator user, but knew I would learn something good. Great start Victor!

1 Like

Thank you! Working on the next one now. They are fun to create!

1 Like

Just thought of one suggestion… you’ve got to show off the actual finished product at the end. It’s like taking the bite at the end of a cooking show.

1 Like

Thanks! I put it in the picture, I thought that would be enough. I get it…I will add it to the back end as well. Great Suggestion!!! I am one of those people that skip ahead in How-To videos just to the see the steps. LOL

1 Like

Finally took the time to look at your tutorial and I have to say you make it look so easy. Your time in creating this tutorial is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you! When it comes right down to it, it really is all about shape and material thickness. If you have those two, you can design most things.