My Glowforge up and running!

Burning wood/acrylic/leather…etc.

1 Like

You can quiet it by using the insulated flexy hose (the kind where the hose is already slipped inside an insulation blanket - I think it’s $20 or $30 at Home Depot) or where you wrap the exhaust hose in a thick insulation layer. @karaelena or @takitus did that and reported substantial sound reductions. @takitus made a sound deadening box for the GF to sit on as well if I recall correctly.

8 Likes

True, LOL. My exhaust is out a 2nd floor window, The wind dissipates the smell pretty fast. I just need to eliminate all leaks in the system so it forces as much exhaust outside as possible.

That Delta printer is a SeeMeCNC Rostock MaxV2. Capable of about a 8" dia x 11" high print.
It isn’t bigger than the Glowforge. It’s just closer in the picture.

2 Likes

lol, first thing I did was zoom in on the vertical lines on that ruler!

4 Likes

I have the exact same 3D printer! The fire extinguisher is different, though, so I’m relatively sure you aren’t alternate-universe me.

5 Likes

congrats!

2 Likes

Thanks @buschtrent, I like these Delta printers.

1 Like

If you think that is bad, wait until you cut acrylic. :smiley:

2 Likes

Acrylic is the only material that has gotten me questions from the family about smells so far.

5 Likes

Yep, it smells like brain cells dying.

8 Likes

So that’s where they all went! Thought I was missing a few. :smile:

1 Like

Thanks. I’m super concerned about smells ever since an apartment in the neighboring building caused a minor crisis by burning wood in their fireplace. My building was very unhappy. There are windows 10’ above and below mine, but adjacent is a bit farther.

2 Likes

Congrats!
The engrave looks sweet!!

I find that when I cut things at the front of the box the smoke seems to escape more. Other than that, I’ve been writing off the smells the the convoluted venting system I’m having to setup every time.

5 Likes

Then I have no worries left… :smiley:

6 Likes

OK, I tried the suggestions from @jamesdhatch and @jeremiah. Thanks so much for the tips. I got the aluminum tape and went over every possible leak carefully. Night and day difference on the smells. At least inside the house. It’s tolerable now.

I forget to look at the insulation material for the sound, but I did wrap a towel around the vent tube. It made a big difference just like you said.

Great tips.
Thanks again.

7 Likes

I don’t mind the acrylic at all. Seems sweet to me. Leather and rubber, nope. I’m pretty habituated to all the smells though now and don’t pay much attention.

4 Likes

I know. I don’t find any of them objectionable any more. Noticeable sometimes (like when opening the GF prematurely) but not really objectionable. So I’m not a good gauge of smells. On the other hand I don’t recall ever really minding it much when I started lasering either so maybe it’s just an overall insensitivity.

4 Likes

I had a hell of a time with my first sheets of maple. For some reason, the cherry and walnut didn’t bother me as much. Birch was fine. Even the leather was tolerable. Then I tried that mirrored extruded acrylic, and discovered what hell was.

Oddly enough, after that, I did get used to the slight smells and none of the woods or acrylic bothers me now. It helps that the PG stuff has less smell than non-PG on the acrylics and whatnot. And I think they might have extended the post processing fan time a bit, so that really helps to cut down on the smell when you open the lid.

11 Likes