My Holiday Catan Adventure

Well, I finally did it. I joined the ranks of Catan boards, made on a Glowforge. For the Thanksgiving holiday, my daughter and her boyfriend came to visit. Of course they were here for 2 weeks so they could properly quarantine. And of course we weren’t really going anywhere, so I suggested we pick something to make on the Glowforge. They picked a Catan board. We started with the Glowforge design and added some of the admins found on Etsy for the edges and pieces. Next we picked out some wood that would be fun. We started with proof grade walnut, maple and red oak and added woods like Padauk, Wenge, Mahogany and Purple Heart. Note, none of the wood is dyed or stained, we did put a clear lacquer on it to help protect it, but that is all. I tested the designs and then we began printing, and printing…and printing. In the course of the week we finished the board and only added color to to waves on the edges and the game pieces. And what started out as a way to pass some time quickly became the most elaborate and expensive print I have ever done. Now, don’t think I am complaining, because it was a great way to spend time with the kids and the result, well I think they speak for themselves…

Of course, once we finished the board, we realized there was no good way to store it or take it home with them. All we had were paper plates holding the pieces, so we had to make a box! Unfortunately I didn’t start designing it till 11:00pm the night before they left and didn’t finish printing it till 3:00am. So it has a bit of tape holding it together, (Too late to properly glue it. So when they get home they can do that), but still for a last minute plan, and surprise for the kids when they woke up…

We even has some stuffing for the box to make sure everything survives the ride home.

Anyway, I wanted to share it everyone. Love to hear what you think of the woods and how it came out. Also, for those of you thinking about making one of these, just know it is a lot of work, but we thought it was worth it. Every time we thought of taking a short cut, we just kept saying, “well, it is a nice catan board…”

Happy Holidays everyone, I hope you are finding ways to combat the crazy world out there with many of your own projects and here’s hoping you get the chance to share them with others. It was truly a wonderful gift.

51 Likes

You did a wonderful job! Love all the different wood colors. You - and they - won’t forget this experience anytime soon.

4 Likes

Not a chance. I think we may have sold another Glowforge too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What a great family project.

3 Likes

This is amazing! I love it! When I first saw the photos, I would never have imagined that you would say none of it was stained. It’s beautiful! This is such a special project that they will always treasure.

I have no idea how to play this game but at some point, I’m going to have to learn and make my own! (I don’t know if it will be as amazing as yours, though LOL but at least it’s not a competition, haha)

4 Likes

Catan was the first “real board game” my wife and I purchased together. Since then we have purchased over 500 games. Our collection is down to around 300 now and I use my current K40 (soon my GF) to make custome board game bling. I keep seeing these Catan boards and thinking wow, that’s a really beautiful board for a game we don’t play much anymore. I never need to make one for myself I thought. After seeing what you and your family have done I may have changed my mind.
Extremely well done! As if I wasn’t excited enough for my glowforge to show up…

4 Likes

What a great activity, and what beautiful results! All the wood choices are stunning…

4 Likes

Wow. Gorgeous. Inspiring!

4 Likes

It is awesome

4 Likes

This was a lovely way to spend the holiday.

6 Likes

Looks great

3 Likes

Great work! A fine collaboration. Even quarantining can be fun?

4 Likes

I really love this!

I love this game too, and I want to make my own board also. But, I haven’t found the time, yet. All these are very inspiring for me!

3 Likes

Great write up. The board turned out really fantastic, and nice that you created a box for it too. Super quarantine project for sure. :clap:

5 Likes

Kudos for staying up to make the box! I’m sure they were thrilled already … but storage is key. Well done!

4 Likes

Really great work! And there’s nothing you can’t fix with duct tape.

1 Like

The wait to join the ranks of lasered Catan board owners was worth it I think. That’s a super job. Really nice collection of woods/colors. Everyone looks like they’re loving it too.

4 Likes

Well… It is a nice Catan board! Unbelievable!

4 Likes

Yes, it was a long night of printing, but I was very happy with the results. I know they appreciated it too.

You have out done me, I only have over 300 board games. Lol. I knew the moment I ordered my GlowForge it would be printing stuff for gaming, but we have found so many other uses.

2 Likes