My largest order: 3x3 cabinet with drawers for trading cards!

Hey everyone! First time poster, short time lurker. I got my GfP end of May beginning of June, and since then I’ve been making a ton of gaming accessories for Magic the gathering including all sizes of deck boxes all the way upto what I’m about to show you all here.

First of all, I’d like to thank glow forge for allowing us to start using cardboard! This was CRITICAL to testing of my build and making a mock up so I knew what to adjust.

This is what I call “The Archivest”, I had a friend from TikTok order 2 of these to store a massive amount of her magic cards but she wanted something less traditional and more suited to her style.

Above is the drawers after staining and knob assembly. The knobs were turned on my lathe using Teik hardwood and slightly darkened by using an orange wax feed (they also small nice now as well!)

After speaking with my friend we decided to make our own take on a set of pullout drawers like she already had for small projects. I got to work designing what you see above and after testing the cuts and then corrections made after testing with the first cardboard cutout I had my main box. Designing the drawers was easy, I decided that if she was going to use this setup it would be better if the cards played sideways rather then up and down, so as not to catch when closing one of the drawers, she agreed. The drawers I came up with can hold roughly 250+ unsleeved cards, or 175 sleeved (depending on sleeve type).

After everything was assembled, I stained the drawers using Minwax gunstock Stain per customer request. I am working on getting the second one assembled this weekend and will be shipping to her shortly after. I learned a decent amount about working with large projects and certain things to avoid, such as, depending on the type of wood used, it can warp if it’s too hot, too cold or anything in the middle, regardless of moisture levels. Hope everyone enjoys my project!

Edit: ended up restaining the first one because I didn’t like how light it came out. They both look amazing now!

Hock

44 Likes

Everything about that box is lovely. The offset fingers on the front faces are a nice touch.

What kind of wood makes the drawer faces? It has a nicely figured grain.

5 Likes

Baltic birch hardwood is what I used for that, I seem to do most everything with B.B these days

3 Likes

Very nice! A great gaming addition for sure. Organizationmakes a better game for sure!

2 Likes

That turned out really nice! I’m sure she is thrilled with it.

3 Likes

You have been very productive in a relatively short period of time. Congrats on a fine cabinet. I like the dumbbell for scale and show of strength.

3 Likes

It also helps the glue set in the right places bahaha

1 Like

Wow this looks awesome!

3 Likes

Like the contrast between the face stained bb plywood and the outside un stained.

3 Likes

So good! :clap::clap::clap: I am a sucker for anything with tiny drawers or cubby holes! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

You’ll like what my M.i.l is asking me to design then! A box full of 1.5 inch cubicles for her essential oils xD

2 Likes

Oh, yeah! Please post when you’ve made that one too! :heart:

2 Likes

Great box!!!

3 Likes

Beautiful. What stain is that?

2 Likes

Looks great!

2 Likes

@djfb that would be the Minwax Gunstock stain. I find it usually makes the engraved areas stand out more.

1 Like

@JimmyWayneWestie thank you, looking back if I ever sell one of these again the price is going to be a bit steeper because there’s just so much involved with it! Not that I mind but the amount of resources used is a bit much

1 Like

Beautiful!
What is the width of the case?
You sure managed to pick a great piece of birch for the grain!
Keep up the great work!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, thanks for sharing, the unusual handle placement makes me want to open the drawers and find the treasures within!

2 Likes

@awebs76 Thanks! Yeah I had to put them high so she can put her desired labels on the front, otherwise it would have been better centered.

2 Likes