My latest Frank Lloyd Wright inspired panel

A new Frank Lloyd Wright inspired design from a window panel at The Bradley House. I added in more decorative accents, and some line width variations. It’s also about 2X as long as the original window panel.

1/8” material The finish is an icy copper paint from Behr.

I really enjoyed getting back to my muse of FLLW and can’t wait to do my next design! :blush: I’ve also got some other related ideas to work on.

43 Likes

I love the intricate design!

9 Likes

This is beautiful!

8 Likes

That is beautiful! Hey @Purplie, possibly another source of inspiration!

I image Frank would have loved having access to a laser. Considering what he built, there were probably thousands of other ideas that never made it off paper, or out of his brain!

12 Likes

Beautiful!!

6 Likes

There are so many sketches that were never used! That’s going to be another project :grinning:

7 Likes

Yeah, that would be a really nice pattern to incorporate into furniture.

6 Likes

Delightful and yes, so beautiful!

4 Likes

I’m thinking this would also look fantastic scaled down for use in lamp siding. Thank for the sharing. Great job.

6 Likes

Oh, gorgeous! Wouldn’t that be cool embedded in cabinet doors?

6 Likes

Well done! That’s really nice.

3 Likes

Oh yes! I need to show a sample somehow on my Etsy shop. People will custom order for things like railings and clerestory windows right now.

2 Likes

Thanks! I normally do 2 sizes of lamps, I’ll have to see how this pattern works out with the thin lines. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is easy to thicken the lines in inkscape. Under Path pick Dynamic Offset and in node mode you will see a tiny circle near the top, as you maniphlate that dot every line in that object moves vas well.

Then Object to Path will restore the line types to normal.

1 Like

I use Illustrator, and thanks! I select the line thickness based on the limits of the laser and what amount of delicacy I want to impart. Sometime an offset will round or affect the design adversely. I usually just go back to my original design, before prepping for laser, and then adjust the thickness there.

1 Like

It is easy enough in Inkscape to go and clean up those rounded corners, but in general, a tiny rounding of a corner is stronger than a sharp corner.

I use Adobe Illustrator, I don’t like Inkscape’s UI. I do manual adjustments a lot. But I prefer to do it right versus fix it after something isn’t right.

2 Likes

One presumes that any changes are because you are fixing something that is not right and you are fixing it no matter how many steps that takes. Perhaps there will be some sort of AI that will know all the steps before you do, and just do them. Presently Glowforge’s AI, Magic Canvas has trouble knowing how many legs there are on a horse.

I think something got lost in this conversation. The reason I would modify the line thicknesses was for editing the design to work in a smaller format lamp. So I’d modify my design and lines after selecting the portion of the design that I’d be using for the lamp side.

I use Adobe Illustrator, and would modify the design for the new size before “baking” it into a cut file. I’m not a proponent of trying to use shortcuts to get around this. So I wouldn’t be using an offset with node/anchor manipulation to get the new design layout.

I’m sure someone has written Adobe Illustrator scripts that might try to do something similar, but “AI” Illustrator vs “AI” Artificial Intelligence are two different things. :smile: And I’d probably use an engine working on DALL-E and Stable Diffusion. Not sure what Glowforge has licensed for Premium.

2 Likes