My medical molding projects

That’s solid humor I don’t know what the schedulers problem was :joy:

3 Likes

come on Henry, just go with it. And here is the hemi-demi-semi-colon…:relaxed:

That would be 1/64th of a colon BTW

2 Likes

Some day, we’re all gonna meet in person at a Laser-Con… and we’re going to be a little too familiar with each other for being relative strangers. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Some people are just too stuffy. hahahaha.

9 Likes

Why do I feel that if you were slightly less educated and a tad more rednecky you would be posting videos of you and your buddies in the woods building very odd stuff with car parts and logs.

The GF has brought some very different people together to build a whole bunch of very different things. I want to build cool boxes, your going to save lives… Maybe I need to rethink my goals.

12 Likes

One hot afternoon while I was cutting tobacco plants with a machete, my dad looked over and apparently didn’t like something I was doing. He said “Boy, if you get one more degree you won’t have enough sense to come out of the rain.” Yeah, I’ve got a few, but not really sure which world I prefer.

11 Likes

That’s exactly how I addressed my Son. When ‘Boy…’ came out of my mouth he knew it was heads-up.

**[quote=“rpegg, post:125, topic:3550”]
not really sure which world I prefer.
[/quote]

You seem to have done a pretty good job keeping a foot in both. :sunglasses:

Tobacco, oh man, that first priming…:sweat:

6 Likes

That would be fun anyway… I do own a chainsaw…

11 Likes

Brings back memories. Here in Connecticut it was all shade grown. Not so bad under the nets in the early summer but get to August with 98F and 90% humidity and it was killer. Sticky sap that made the jeans black. My mom didn’t want the tobacco clothes in the house or our washer. But it was the only job a 15 yr old could get and they provided transportation on old school buses that had seen better days.

Boys in the field, girls in the sheds. And at least once a summer there’d be a contest between the local kids and the older experienced workers brought in from the island (CT had the highest Puerto Rican population on the mainland). We’d drink lots of water and hold it until our turn came to see how far up into the rafters we could spray.

Yeah, there was usually tobacco hanging to dry up there :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Never cleaned after hanging. Went straight to wrapping fine cigars.

4 Likes

oh hey, what?

3 Likes

Well new crazy organ project in the works as an outshoot of yesterday. Unfortunately yesterday was work on my organs day (as a patient not doc) and had a skin biopsy (strong family history) and a molar extraction (which will be replaced ultimately by a block of highly compressed money apparently) due to an injury back during residency. Anyway, after answering a whole lot of questions about the new SLA 3D printer he wants to buy, I was watching my friend sew the gum back together, and was commenting on how hard it must be to sew in the mouth down in a tooth hole below the gum line. His comment was “yeah, I couldn’t master it until well into my residency”… I yelled “To OnShape…” (well not really)…

To Be continued…

15 Likes

Out of all of the above, I do have to wonder what happened during residency that damaged a tooth? Psychotic patient? Grey’s Anatomy-esque style situation? Just tired from working 24 hours straight and walked in a door?

2 Likes

Fingers crossed on the skin biopsy.

The new project sounds great! I have had a lot of dental work myself (2 gum extensions, many crowns) so I have great respect for dentists.

1 Like

She wasn’t super concerned, (unlike the basal cell carcinoma she removed from the corner of my eye - there are 2 people I would ever let with a scalpel 2mm from my sclera, and she’s one of them). Neither of us could remember if it looked like that in the past (it’s on the back of my shoulder - could have been there for 30 years, who knows), and being it’s not going to affect my modeling career…

5 Likes

3D or bikini modeling?

3 Likes

So a funny story:

I was crash intubating a patient in the ICU at 2am, and it was a really, really hard intubation (for anyone who knows about such things, I had to resort to a miller-6!) anyway, I finally got in and heard the dreaded sound of a tooth cracking (that is a serious epic fail during an intubation - since it means you levered instead of lifted, and is considered minor malpractice). I was pretty bummed, until I felt something floating in MY mouth… Our chairman of OMFS (oral surgery) was placing a tracheostomy on a patient in the next bed, so when he was done I had him look in, and he said that I had badly cracked a molar from biting down while struggling to get the airway in, due to the tooth being weakened from impacted wisdom teeth (who knew). So after getting off call, came down to his office and he emergently patched the tooth, then I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed.

So fast forward 10 years, and then that tooth recracked. So I called my buddy who is a dentist also here at Harvard, who is right down from my office. The saga since then was patch, patch, patch, fail, send-away-crown, fail (by fail, pop out), root canal, 3D scanned/CNC machined tooth, fail, fail, at this point decided to make a new crowns to better fit along with a root canal, and since they come out of the CNC shock white, they paint them to match your other teeth. The tech asks “hey do you want anything on the teeth, some other guy wanted the patriots logo”.

So anyone who knows me, snark is always my first response to absurd questions, so “hey why don’t you put my initials on since that way when they pop out, we will know that’s my tooth?”. I guess since english isn’t his first language, he didn’t recognize snark, so I have crowns with my initials on them… haha. Anyway, recently I had excruciating pain in my right molar/crown, and it turned out to be badly infected under the crown, and they attempted a second root canal (drill out the old filler and place antibiotic laced filler, but aborted when they noted the infection had eaten the base of the tooth. So it had to come out to be replaced by a bone graft->post->implant… Luckily since the tooth had been so damaged it took 15 minutes to remove… zero post-procedure pain at all, not even a tylenol

18 Likes

The only funny part of that story is the initials…never heard of putting a logo on it - that’s a new one.

The rest is kind of cringe inducing. :confounded:

5 Likes

If you intubate patients, hearing that you broke your own teeth while doing it is funny; but I suppose if you don’t it might induce cringing…

11 Likes

Yep! Take it from a lay person… I would find that aggravating over funny! Chuckle! :wink:

2 Likes

Yep, that’s a first for me! I both cringed and laughed when reading it.

Oh! And where do you find a Miller 6? I don’t know that I’ve ever seen one.
I believe the largest we keep around is a 4.

2 Likes

Bellevue, the land of wondrous and mysterious things… (I do miss working there)

Also, live with a vet (and be faculty at a vet school) and you see totally bizarre sized things (like a 56 cuffed ET tube that’s 3’ long)…

3 Likes