My Obsession with Engraving - Thoughts & Questions

I have found that for most of the engravings I’ve been doing, I prefer the look before I take off the masking layer.

For example, in this sun image, I love the look with the masking layer still on. If I engrave without the masking layer on, will it look similar to this? I guess it would depend…more experimentation needed!
IMG_6117

For this one, I like the look with the masking layer removed:

This one, too (though, I just realized this pic is before I removed the interior masking):

Of course, I had to try a Middle Earth map and it looked AWESOME before I took the masking layer off. It seems the laser barely cut through the masking layer for many of the fine details. I think I know how fix this…how does the GF determine engrave depth? For a given proofgrade material, pure black doesn’t cut all the way through. Is the engrave depth specific for material? So, white is no engrave and black is set to some depth. How is that depth determined? Is it affected by the background color of the source image? My Middle Earth map did have a non-white background color.

Finally, is there an easier way to remove the masking layer? The little bits are difficult to get completely off.

Thanks for any and all advice!

james

25 Likes

Gorilla tape is great stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-6035180-Tape-Black-Duct/dp/B000CSS8UE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1518142976&sr=8-3&keywords=gorilla+tape

And little fiddly tools like these are wonderful for detailed weeding:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NASW3A0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4 Likes

Ahhh, just apply the gorilla tape and then pull off? I hadn’t thought of that and I have a roll of gorilla tape, already!

Thanks!

3 Likes

Rub it down firmly and peel up from an edge. Slowly. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Gorilla tape can work wonders, but I have found that I don’t actually need masking when engraving. I simply remove my Proofgrade masking before I engrave or score for that matter - though you might have to adjust (lower) your power manually to compensate for removal of the masking when scoring without it.

3 Likes

I don’t know the answer to your first question, but just wanted to say that your engravings are outstanding!

1 Like

Awwww, thanks! :slight_smile:

Just saw this in YouTube feed:

3 Likes

Nice, T-Rex is what I got in a three-pack from Costco… was kind of wondering how it stacked against Gorilla

Got a good DON’T !!
That brown shipping tape is about impossible to remove once it has been heated.

On non-proofgrade masking, I am staying with the blue painter flavor, it is really easy to see to remove and I had about 5 rolls.
There have been times I wished the proofgrade masking was some tint also. Can be hard to see tiny spots that you missed.

Back on topic.
You got me thinking.
I am going to make a small test piece with masking left on and a poly sealer applied. Not sure it would make it more permanent, but worth a try I reckon.

7 Likes

Very nice work.

1 Like

Love the brain!

1 Like

Been looking for a really clean copy of this image of the map of Middle Earth. Beautiful engrave.

Thanks! I need to clean up the image a bit more before trying again.

Still looks better than any image I’ve been able to grab so far.