My over-the-top snap together project - it's taking forever! lol

You crazy, creative engineer! And to think we’ve only seen a quarter of it so far. The way your creative/engineer mind works continues to astound me.

3 Likes

Thank you! I just really love creating. I am beginning to think I should have been an engineer rather than in Real Estate. Lol

5 Likes

Another amazing creation from you! They just keep getting better! Now you know we are gonna want to see it in motion at some point…

4 Likes

Wow, love it! How big is it?

1 Like

If I tried to do that I would need a keeper! Even beyond the many pieces and great engineering. the design is incredible. I might have trouble getting those little spirals to work out.

6 Likes

You just have to flip them over and engrave the other side :thinking:

4 Likes

They are called Architects. The best ones are great engineers as well. You would be amazing.

5 Likes

Thank you! It’s about 2 ft tall. the wheel itself is 18".

2 Likes

I was thinking about that after i wrote it. LOL Duh. I am going to go with “I was tired.” LOL

4 Likes

Thank you! I will have a video of it in motion. It spins really easily.

2 Likes

Is there a metric we can access that gives the average number of posts that go to topics folks create? I’d say yours would get a pretty high average.

You are Ugears worthy!

4 Likes

LOL. thanks! And I know it sounds strange but,how have I never known of Ugears!!! Well, I will be busy for the next 4 hours. That stuff is amazing!

2 Likes

You could also purchase either raw ball bearings to run in tracks or complete bearing assemblies and friction fit them to holes. I’ve done both. While it’s not GF-only construction, it’s simpler and more precise than wood bearings that I’ve built.

Matthias Wandel does amazing things with wood bearings and gears, you’d dig his stuff if you haven’t found it on the web yet.

7 Likes

I thought about getting raw bearings but a little voice inside said “but it’s not made with the Glowforge!” LOL Ultimately a lot of what I do is more about “can I do it?” rather than make it easier. I like the amount of brain power I use when I try to create things entirely out of flat pieces of material and give them dimension. It really is my zen time. I am going to check out Matthias! Thanks for the head’s up!

5 Likes

What the what?! This is incredible! The axel/bearing system in particular is pretty fantastic.

3 Likes

Thanks! I like solving problems. LOL

3 Likes

OMG, homemade bearings. You have just raised the bar to the roof!!!

5 Likes

LOL…I know there are easier ways to do it, but I really like the challenge.

4 Likes

If you just had some half inch maple and did a variable engrave on each side… Camelnut would work better but might be hard to get as well.

2 Likes

Based on my experience with sliding top boxes, where a flat top slides into channels engraved to depth with the glowforge, I would have expected the burned edges of the “ball” bearings to seize in the channel. I’m very glad they don’t. Did you clean them, or are they spinning with cut-resin edges?

3 Likes