My over-the-top snap together project - it's taking forever! lol

I have been working for about a month on a new design and I finally finished the drawings and started to run the job. I have a lot of pieces to run, but you can kinda get an idea of what it is going to be, well almost…there is a twist and it will be seen when it is completed.

When I say a big project, I mean kinda huge. 430 pieces and 20 boards to run it. Not as big as some I have seen, but still big for me. This is done entirely with PG Draftboard.

It is entirely snap together. Zero glue and no other materials than what I cut out of Draftboard.

When I constructed this in my head, I was thinking that I would just have the wheel spin on a circle cut out of board, then I realized that it wouldn’t spin freely so I created an axel that uses bearings. It spins like a dream. It’s just a pain to put together. LOL

I will be posting pictures of the finished project in a couple of weeks. Need more board and cooler temps to actually run the 15 boards I have left to run. Note, a lot of the connectors are not on this piece. It will look really different once completed.

Have a great Friday Eve!

84 Likes

Wow. Just Wow. I am blown away, both by the design and your level of patience. Color me impressed.

7 Likes

Draftboard ball bearings… now there’s something you don’t see everyday!

18 Likes

Now that’s a keeper! :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Thanks! It’s amazing how much patience you have when you want something to be cool. LOL

6 Likes

I know right?! My friend was like “you are crazy, that will never work.” Well, I am here to say it does. LOL

7 Likes

I don’t think my parts count has ever exceeded 8 peices so color me impressed.

5 Likes

I am still looking at SVGs going “What is that part for?” LOL

3 Likes

I’m glad it did! Extremely impressive. I hope it inspires others to create some wonderful workable ideas.

2 Likes

Me too! That is why we post and share!

Pair it with the tape that @evansd2 mentioned the other day and I’m sure the friction coefficient would plummet.

5 Likes

Yeah I thought about that! LOL

It’s actually a Christmas present for someone. I never keep anything I make. I guess I should start at some point. LOL

4 Likes

It’s sooo gorgeous. Your friend is very lucky!

5 Likes

Excellent suggestion to do a gift exchange this year! I’ll just coordinate it, and if you should accidentally happen to draw my name… :wink:

5 Likes

Love the bearing, free thinking there.

From a recent NatGeo article on Leonardo da vinci - one of his inventions…

9 Likes

It will come in my GF box. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

I wish we could print round sphercial things. They aren’t really ball bearings cause they are flat on 2 sides, but they work just the same.

2 Likes

You can print half a sphere, I’ve done it with a depth map… :grin:

6 Likes

Then i would have to use glue to get the two pieces together. My whole objective was no glue and nothing other that draft board. I am a little obsessed with snap-together pieces. LOL

3 Likes