My PLA honeycomb pin

My PLA honeycomb pin with a snug fit in my honeycomb of my Glowforge Pro. Maybe there are more people interested in it, made on a Ultimaker3

the STL file enjoy!
honeycomb_pin.zip (453.3 KB)

25 Likes

Thank you for sharing. I will give it a try.

4 Likes

Hope to try after the holidays. Thank you!!

4 Likes

I like that design, thank you!

4 Likes

What’s the advantage over using the standard honeycomb pins that you cut from my draft board? Unless you have a very fast 3-D printer, I can’t imagine that it’s quicker than making them on the Glowforge?

And by very fast I mean faster than current technology allows.

3 Likes

If you use only scraps for it and make a bigger series. I will do a contest with you with a Bambu printer And I will go to bed when I started the printer. I made it because saw one here in the forum for sale and thought it was interesting idea. These wooden pins wear out a lot for me, so I’ll have a look if this works better. Made a drawing of it tested it and for now I am happy with it.
But you don’t have to use it!

3 Likes

I didn’t mean to put you on the defensive, I was curious as to why you decided to design it.

I wondered if there was a specific advantage to your design over the traditional pins. From what you’re saying it sounds like you believe that they are stronger than the traditional wooden ones?

How much give does the PLA have? My crumb tray holes are quite variable, the wooden pens don’t always fit in every hole very well. I often have to hunt around for a hole that works well, if the 3-D printed pens are more forgiving, they might be worth it. Unfortunately my 3D printer is resin, not filament, so I’m not sure that the resin that I have would work very well for it — too hard and brittle unfortunately.

I know the new crop of filament printers is getting much faster, I’ve seen impressive videos… are you telling me that you can print a pin in about three seconds now? I’d be pretty amazed at that just by the thermodynamics of it; the heat it takes to melt the filament seems like it couldn’t possibly disperse that quickly., but I’m not aware of the newest features out there.

I’ll be impressed if you can make 3-D printed pins in that kind of time. It would definitely be enough to make me consider getting a new 3-D printer, because the time 3d printing takes is the biggest impediment for me.

3 Likes

It is exactly that! Always have to throw away wooden pins after 6-10 times use some fit some won’t either you don’t get them in or the just fall in.

I am not debating a laser cutter cuts faster, but you are not going to make your 3 sec cut time when you make a 25-50 pins from scrap material either. Yes a 3D Printer takes 5 minutes to print it who cares the next morning there laying 50 pins for you to use.

For now, I am happy with it and we will see if they have a longer life in use, but sins you lock it over four sides I am hopeful….

But believe me I am not offended if you don’t use it! Really!

9 Likes

I am interested in hearing about your experience with this pins.

I have the same problems with re-cutting new pins and having them not always work or wear out frequently.

If these work better and last longer, I think it is definitely worth the look.

6 Likes

Not sure if you were soliciting alternative resin recommendations but …

I have been using the Siraya Tech Blu Black Nylon resin for some things. It is pretty durable and, doesn’t shatter easily (I have deliberately bounced prints off concrete surfaces to try to break them). I have also used their Tenacious resin, which produces prints with some flex. I would expect pins like this printed with those to be adequately durable.

It may take some work to get those calibrated with your machine. I found various published settings to be a little off for my environment + machine.

4 Likes

How do the layer cure times compare to something like a standard gray resin?

1 Like

Yes, my first thought was they would be more durable.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I can answer that definitively, since I haven’t printed anything in a standard grey resin. I started using the ST Blu (non-nylon) and, have mostly used Blu variants, Craft (a glow-in-the-dark resin), Build and, the Tenacious.

My tweaked settings for the Blu Nylon (3.5s) are slightly longer than the official stock settings for the ST “Easy” gray (2s) but, the official settings for the Blu Nylon were shorter (2.3s).

3 Likes