My predictions on who will be active a year from now

ROFL! God, I really hope not, but there will likely be a few that set fire to the things burning something they’re not supposed to. :smile:

3 Likes

I am in the category of …

Bought it for … no idea … but it looked cool, and thought it would be a fun toy. If I master even basic stuff, the fun toy will likely make me more active in here.

Oh … today is my estimated shipping notification date … I know they aren’t going out on time, but I am hopeful I will see it within the week.

Day 23 Buyer - Pro - Florida
Air Filter 4/23/2018

2 Likes

One type/size of label on each sheet.

Then you should be able to set your cuts up in design software on a 12x20 artboard and they’ll hit the labels exactly. You’ll want to use a square that’s registered off the back & side of the machine and you’ll be spot on every time.

1 Like

A major reason, although not the only one, was the auto-alignment and pass through slot. You don’t have a category, for still waiting to see how well X performs. As I’ve posted elsewhere, I have found so many other things that need doing the lack of my X is hardly noticed.

Before August I did not know that glitter glue existed and now I have a glitter glue holder, so definitely in the did not know Y and Z camp.

Only time will tell if I remain fascinated with my machine, or if it slides into the just a cool tool I own category.

4 Likes

And would probably want to do one of two things to keep them from flying around as they are cut out.

• use one of the sticky mats like are used on the digital cutters. There were some threads that talked about them, but I don’t remember the product names.
  • if the labels are self stick on a peel-off backing, you should be able to determine a power/speed setting that will cut the material, but not go through the backing. Hold down with magnets (or the sticky mat).

As @jamesdhatch said, you will want to design a cut file that has the cuts for all of the labels. Adjust positioning using cheap paper printed with the same image…

Using the 20x12 artboard (which loads into the GFUI in a fixed position, I can think of another way of knowing that the cuts are properly aligned:

1. Using a larger piece of paper than your preprinted labels, run the cut on the paper. Also have a cut rectangle that cuts out the outline of the label page. On each edge of this cut rectangle, score lines that cross the cut.
  2. Remove, carefully the rectangle with all the label holes. This I’d going to be your verification template.
  3. Leave the outer border of paper firmly held on place (sticky mat probably preferable). This is your “jig”. Remove all of the blank “labels”.
  4. Place the label material into the cutout in your “jig”.
  5. Check your alignment by laying your verification template back in place over the labels. Line up the scores at the edges to ensure it’s in exactly the right place.
  6. Are the labels lined up correctly all across the sheet? If not, use the template to see how much to shift the label within the jig. Or, if you can’t get the template to line up, perhaps the cut file needs to be modified. Maybe the spacing was off.
  7. Repeat 1-6 cutting only cheap paper templates until you are satisfied with alignment. Then run the cut on the labels.

Once they improve visual alignment, this process may not be necessary, but until then, it should get the result you desire.

[Edited to @-tag the right james]

1 Like

Oh, cool!
Challenge: ACCEPTED

Absolutely.

1 Like

Yes, thank you. This process would work for any laser cutter. One of the reasons I purchased the GF was because it was supposed to eliminate all of these steps with the camera alignment.

This topic didn’t get revisted in October. Necro-ing it just as a follow up. I think because we have a lot of new users still getting their Glowforges plus the added challenges of international shipping, there is still no way to definitively establish long term trends.

Active forum use and active Glowforge use are two different things. Wondering what Glowforge’s stats on the mothership demonstrate about long term usage of Glowforges.

8 Likes

Thanx for resurrecting this, it is interesting to see what past me has written and compair it to what present me would write.

5 Likes

So, what do you think? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I don’t think I’m in the “most active of all” group (I blame my job, :upside_down_face:). I am so happy with the things my Glowforge and do, and I am ever so pleased when I learn to do something new with it. Honestly, the Glowforge is the most wonderful Digi-fab machine I have ever owned.

I love the machine. However, I value the support of this community as well. The inspiration I receive from what folks share here is as important to me as the machine. I wouldn’t be able to do half the stuff I can do with the Glowforge if it wasn’t for all y’all. Thanks folks!

5 Likes

Hmmmn. I ordered it for Q through X which it does beautifully.

They are still finalizing Y. (I’m definitely hanging around to see what that turns out to be, although the hanging around these days tends to be more of the reading and only occasionally jumping in to help since there are a lot of folks who can do it now, and it’s the holiday season which gets really busy for me.)
And we just saw someone mod for Z, which I have absolutely no desire to do to my machine. (Paid four grand for this thing - I like it the way it looks now.) :smile:

I wish I did have more time to play on the forum though. The peeps here are the best part. Man, did we ever get lucky. :hugs:

6 Likes

I went through a ‘slow spell’ on here for awhile, at least by my own criterion. I wondered then if I was slowly fading away from the forum, but then I got sucked right back in. Not a bad thing, mind you. I’ve been here so long now, it’s sort of hard to believe I’ll ever NOT be here. But, sometimes life steps in. So far though, one of the best things I’ve ever gotten involved in…the machine itself and the people that came along with it.

6 Likes

In general terms, I think I got it more right than wrong.

What I missed that I should have seen coming: 20% or so of the total traffic is people who have not formed the core with everyone else, may have never even posted before but they show up with their complaint in the problems section and then are never seen again.

8 Likes

It’s so fun to see this thread again! I still see most of the most active and inspiring of you posting here and there mixed in with the newbies. @geek2nurse’s bored / recovery phase put her in @Jules exposure range. There are some that post in spurts and are fun to see again and some who were wise sages of laser wizardry and are rarely heard from now. Every one of you have made this learning curve most entertaining and rich. Thank you!

4 Likes

I do miss @palmercr’s contributions as they added a certain frisson to the proceedings.

4 Likes

Active using the Glowforge, More so my wife then me. Active in here? Yes/No. I do still login in the morning and read a bit while drinking coffee. But a lot of the stuff I make for me on the Glowforge are more for fixturing/setting up for something else. No as artsy are the other posts. The common line I see when I post something is- ‘Not sure what that is, but it sure seems nice’ lol.

6 Likes

Now that I can (sort of) walk again, life and work have been sucking away my energy and GF time, but catching up on the forums while I drink my coffee is still my favorite “wake up and get ready to face the day” routine. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Unfortunately, there are still far too many of us in an unaccounted for fifth category:

• I bought it for X, but it still has not shown up.
2 Likes