My supreme custom catan board

Similar to @Bill.m.davis post from Dec 21 ( Custom Settlers of Catan Board - Made on a Glowforge - Glowforge Owners Forum) i decided to go for it and create a Settlers of Catan Board - but went maybe a little extreme.
After weeks of tweaking and printing, here is the final product!

I used the same base file that was found on katton.net & (Laser cut settlers board - Album on Imgur) and started modifying and personalizing

IMG_3074

IMG_3077
it. I wanted pieces that fit together like a puzzle, and left room for the roads to not slip around. and had to make enough for a 6+ player game. Then i had to make houses and cities and roads that fit the hex intersections (8 different options). and of course, game piece holders, longest road, largest army, & sheep lover cards, building cost cards, card organizers, and a custom robber. Two different types of numbers (one for standard 4 player game, another for 5-6 player game) and last but not least a box to hold it all together. i think 6 different colors of stain, for the game tiles, countless hours gluing and painting roads and game pieces. It truly is a beast…i think i ended up with like 22 separate files that i cut…
IMG_3078

IMG_3080

IMG_3082

IMG_3088
IMG_3089

51 Likes

Impessive!

5 Likes

Wow!

5 Likes

With projects like this I think it’s easy to see skilled constructions, creative presentation, attention to detail. What’s not so visible but maybe the most impressive part is the amount of dedication it takes to see stuff like this through.

You said “weeks”, and I don’t doubt it. How many hours do you think you put into it, all told?

16 Likes

Now this is impressive!

6 Likes

A lot of work pays off. Very nice

5 Likes

I’m not a game player, but I’d love that set just to drool over the beautiful colors and textures.

6 Likes

I love that pattern, but I did change a few things when I used it, and I would change a few more if I were to do it again.

I didn’t like the wheat tile. It looked to much like a palm branch, not wheat. So I had to make my own.

I love they way you did the box and made your own pieces! The pieces being held in place was one of the main features I like with this design.

If I were to do it again though, I wouldn’t have all the board pieces puzzle together, just the sea tiles. It is a lot more hassle to actually play when all the tiles are like that.

I love that game, and I love your implementation of that board too!

(Edit: Now I am getting an itch to make another one!!)

8 Likes

That’s amazing! I’d be so busy looking at the board I’d lose the game.

4 Likes

honestly, i probably have like 40 hours into it…between just drooling over all the different designs out there, finding one i really liked, modifying it, test cutting, staining, cutting, gluing, designing game pieces, cutting and painting them, figuring out what other accessories i might want, measuring and figuring out how to make it all fit in a box…making a box and inserts…it was more of a “i need to see if i can do this and have something i like” vs. “let’s just use a cut file i buy off of etsy and throw something together real quick just so i can say i made one”

6 Likes

i do like your wheat better than mine

4 Likes

Wonderful!

4 Likes

I sent you a PM :wink:

2 Likes

Amazing job!!

It was high on my list to make a Catan board when I got my Glowforge. In the end, I opted against it, as I didn’t know who we’d play it with. :frowning:

5 Likes

I have considered making another one of these just to hang on the wall.

4 Likes

That is just amazing!! Great job!

4 Likes

Love this, amazing​:blush::heart:Is this file available?

1 Like

I think the original is referenced over here:

4 Likes

That is a spectacular design. Such an heirloom piece.

3 Likes