My take on the Norton White Tile Method

Wow. Very nice. Thanks for sharing your method and settings.

4 Likes

It truly is amazing ā€¦ thank you for sharing your process!

Here is my attempt. Two coats of flat white primer. Power/speed are noted on the first tile.

And this is after the white paint is removed:

As is evident, even a slight change in power/speed can make a big difference. The process is very temperature and time dependent. Too fast and the heat dissipates before absorption can occur. Too much heat (power) and everything vaporizes before absorption can occur.

Also the paint needs to be even, thicker makes a bit darker, so Iā€™m thinking three light coats may be better than two. My guess is the titanium oxide in the paint is reduced to titanium metal vapor which penetrates the pores of the porcelain. Paints used to produce color in firing ceramics may yield different colors. It would be interesting to get some of these ceramic firing paints to try.

6 Likes

Excellent research on your part. I hope someone follows up with your theory. It would be awesome to have different colours at our disposal. Someone on here must do pottery,

2 Likes

Yes! I have very little ceramic experience, but a clear glaze is pepto-bismol pink but fires glass clear. Brick is also squirted with solutions that when fired give different colors.

1 Like

I am getting some amazing results with Beerfacedā€™s settings. One thing I have learned is you can save yourself a lot of work by spraying the tiles, using them as soon as they are dry to the touch, and then immediately scrubbing them. If you wait a day after painting the paint cures and it is a lot harder to scrub off.

4 Likes

Great to hear!
You should post some pics.

I got a file ready to add to a tile last night. 3.3 hour engrave. I had to pass it was 10PM. LOL

1 Like

iā€™m still not having good success with small tests yet. i had a really big one i wanted to try if my last test was good, it would have been close to 12 hrs engraving. but iā€™m not successful enough with the little ones to commit to that yet.

1 Like

Here you go. This is from a logo so I cropped out the company name.

And in reference to my original reply I discovered through research that lacquer thinner is great for taking the paint off if you can stand the smell.

6 Likes

Nice. Excellent results.
Yeah I use paint thinner and it smells pretty strong.
I was just at my local Home Depot yesterday and they were all out of these hex tiles so I had to can a few projects :unamused:

1 Like

Thank you for posting your settings. Iā€™ve done 4 logos so far and they have all come out great. I had to modify some of the original logos in Photoshop to make all the lines bold and dark in order to get the best results. For this one the poster edges filter did a great job of bringing out what was needed.

Youā€™re welcome. I hadnā€™t done any tile in a while so Iā€™m just glad the GF saved my settings for me because honestly I couldnā€™t remember them off the top of my head.
I use paint.net to adjust any photos as best I can. Itā€™s sometimes a tedious job but the results can be magic.

1 Like

So clean and sharp looking!

1 Like

Thank you. Everyone in my family is an entrepreneur so I thought using this method to make each one of them a set of coasters with their logos would be just the thing for a great Christmas gift.

1 Like

I tried getting the paint off with lacquer thinner and it just made it sticky ?

I usually use acetone or denatured alcohol and they donā€™t leave mine sticky.

1 Like