What did I do wrong with this?

So I wanted to try the Norton white tile method. Loved the way this looked so used the settings here

Took about 90 minutes.
It looked great! Emphasis on past tense. Took it out and noticed a lighter area. Rubbed my thumb across it. Yikes!

The tile wasn’t white; should that matter? This is the flat white paint I used; should I use other than primer?
Any advice appreciated.

4 Likes

I did this using the Rustoleum flat white paint.

I would be that you used the wrong paint. the primer won’t have the same level of pigment as the actual paint.

6 Likes

Gotcha. Thanks. I bought this because THEY DIDNT HAVE ANY OTHER WHITE THAT DAY! Grrrr :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:. I have to wander by HD again so I’ll see. If not maybe lowes or even Ace hardware

4 Likes

ya I have noticed the spray paint selection is getting dicey.

you might even try a place like BIG LOTS, or WALMART

3 Likes

Good idea! I am close to a Walmart super center. Just 4 miles down the road.

2 Likes

Well hopefully it was the type of paint. You definitely have the image dialed in.

3 Likes

I can’t tell you how excited I was as I watched it develop. Although I’m sure ever Glowforger does know that feeling. But the crash and burn was not pretty. Just curious if any other color would work….:thinking: as long as the chemical make up is the same, it just burns it in, right?

1 Like

how long did you let the primer cure after spraying before lasering it?

2 Likes

I don’t recall if there was commentary on different colors of paint. you could search norton method. but no telling if it might have been mentioned as a side comment in some other thread.

2 Likes

Thi is what I did in the past:

2 coats of Rustoleum flat white paint about 20 minutes apart then let that dry for an hour or so.
Speed = 250
Power = 30
Convert to dots
LPI = 340

3 Likes

Several days.

1 Like

I’ve only tried it on those glossy smooth white tiles. Your tile looks like it has a slightly rougher surface or maybe that is the lighting?

2 Likes

if I’m not mistaken it’s the titanium (Di?)oxide in the white paint that fuses to the tile. Check the ingredients.

4 Likes

that’s why I mentioned the actual paint and not the primer. I still think it is more about not enough pigment in the primer. primer is just supposed to be sticky.

hopefully better paint can be located quickly.

I had good luck with the Rustoleum.

5 Likes

They are, but I’m thinking more the paint than the tile. Running an experiment tonite. We’ll see.

1 Like

I think your right. I found some rust oleum paint+primer. Experimenting with that

1 Like

Excellent. Looking forward to seeing how things turn out.

3 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

Good luck! I love that method.

1 Like

So, made a second attempt.

The dark one is using the galvanized spray, the white-ish one with the paint . I only gave them one good coat of paint. They are much better, but still not quite happy. The original one that smeared looked a lot better. Would 2 coats be better, allowing a deeper darker engrave?

1 Like