My Trip to the Glowforge Booth at Bay Area Maker Faire

Awesome. Glad you attended and recorded. I went elsewhere on the assumption there would be a Faire official recording.

4 Likes

I simply cannot thank you all enough for coming. We have a tradition that anyone who’s new to the company gets to go the next Maker Faire. The reason we do that is so everyone can meet you, the people who make what we do possible, and the people we work for every day.

We were all finishing up dinner tonight and I can’t remember how many times Glowfolk said: “Our customers are so amazing it’s almost unbelievable.” We love our product but we worry all the time about whether it’s going to be good enough for you. It makes me happier that I can explain when we hear from you that it is.

23 Likes

It was great meeting you and @rebecca in person! Very cool micro-meetup. :smiley:

3 Likes

It was great to meet you too. Loved your booth. The bird box camera is a great idea! I’ve always wanted to set one up, but haven’t yet gotten to it. Making bird viewing easier is definitely something I support! Very cool. :hatched_chick:

2 Likes

It’s really weird to be at the beach (which is great) and be jealous of where others are.

10 Likes

Thanks a bunch for filming that!

1 Like

Huge thanks to the Glowforge crew - I got to meet a bunch of them at the Maker Faire yesterday, and got the VIP treatment! Even got my Robot Turtles instruction booklet signed by the whole family :slight_smile:

There are some photos of their booth, plus a video of the entire burn run on my demo piece in my Glowforge Album on Google Photos.

P.S. @dan we ran into your lovely wife and kids again later in the day and were talking music with them after The Travelling Spectacular show we watched. Remind her to seek out the band Gogol Bordello to get her fill of gypsy punk music, and we will try out Pink Martini in exchange :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Thanks so much for the photos and video, everybody! It just makes me drool all the more!

4 Likes

Thank you Sir for sharing that!

@dan, in the video, cutting out the horse, you cut wood first, and then opened the lid, took out the wood, put in acrylic, repositioned the image, and cut again. Is there anyway to cut from more than one type of product at once? Like, putting wood, acrylic, glass, etc, in the bed at the same time, positioning the image where you want over each, and have the glowforge recognize each material separately, and cut appropriately? Or would seeing all the different proofgrade materials in the bed at once confuse it, and ultimately end up cutting them wrong?

3 Likes

This is awesome. Thank you so much @rebecca! Hope you have a great time.

Can’t wait for the post show @karaelena. The show is great. Thanks for letting me sit in on one.

2 Likes

Yup.

5 Likes

I’m a bit concerned about the amount of smoke and the flair up at the end. Do these machines have air assist and was it turned on?

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks! I’ve watched this too, but must’ve missed/forgotten this part.

1 Like

Yep. Built in.

6 Likes

@dan may correct me, but I think I heard him saying that air assist was not turned on.

1 Like

If air assist was on during that clip I have concerns, because almost the entire point of air assist is to prevent flames like those visible in that clip.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing.

It is entirely possible that I have missed the appropriate thread … but, does the brochure in your images feature the “GF Pro”, filter enclosure and pass through slot in situ???

1 Like

Dan is so good with kids! Thanks to everyone sharing photos and videos and experiences with those of us who couldn’t go. I got excited watching the videos and demos, and don’t feel like I missed out on the fun entirely. Glad everyone had a good time.

6 Likes

I enjoyed seeing what I could at the crowded Glowforge Booth at the Bay Area Maker Faire. The examples being displayed at the booth were impressive. The precision cutting and etching/engraving on the examples was great. I’m looking forward to making my project ideas real, instead of becoming a technician for another fidgety device.

9 Likes