My Very First 3d Engrave

Just finished my first 3d engrave. Got the file off of the net.

Used hardware store Luan. Cleaned it up with a little water and a dish brush.

Anyone have a better tip to clean them up?

Thanks.

23 Likes

Nice!
I usually use rubbing alcohol or white vinegar. Seems to work better for me than water, and
an added bonus with alcohol is it dries fast.

3 Likes

Lots of theories about cleaning engraves, searching the forum will help you there.

I’d rather talk about materials here: deep engraves like this aren’t best done on plywoods as a rule, the plies make weird layers in the output. Consider solid hardwoods for this sort of thing, basswood, maple, etc… you’ll probably get a more consistent result.

3 Likes

Thanks. I will try that next.

Good idea. When I get serious with the 3D engrave, I will use some solid woods. I was really just playing around, this time.

2 Likes

Considering that’s on plywood that’s pretty darn cool! I love how the masts/support bars stick out

2 Likes

Very nice. How big overall?

Yeah, I should have found a banana to put in the picture. Lol. Its It’s about 2.5 x1.5 inches. It took about 35 mins.

2 Likes

Excellent. Thanks.

Cleanup: slight engraving residue I use baby wipes. For 3D engraves that end up having the fine detail under the soot, I use Meyers spray and a kitchen scrub brush. The oval ones are 3D engraving on red oak hard wood I think the wood is 1/4” thick and I use the oak hardwood proofgrade settings

9 Likes

Great detail on those. Thanks for the tip.