Name Plate - minimal design

I was experimenting with different connections and trying to use minimal amounts of material.

Last month it started to look like a desk name plate.

I filled in the engrave with a white acrylic paint pen. The wood is one-sided JPP Laserbits Walnut.
Any suggestions or ideas on connecting the ends, aesthetically?

36 Likes

I know the title is “minimal design”, but…you have two other sides to play with! This name plate could be a 3-for-1 item. [edit] But if you go my way, then leave the ends plain.

Nice, clean design. Thanks for showing us.

8 Likes

It started out as design for the Fifth Element stones. But I couldn’t get the edges just right. So then it became out a sign.

The side facing you could be a perpetual calendar.

7 Likes

That’s a cool idea!

2 Likes

With the way you’ve fitted the name plate get rid of the cross pieces, make it more of a right triangle and push the end pieces inboard about an inch. A standard 8 x 2 nameplate should be supported just fine that way. You can always use 1/4" stock if you want a little more stability.

15 Likes

I had no idea there was a standard for name plates! Thank you.

6 Likes

2x8 and 2x10 are pretty standard for desk nameplates

5 Likes

The white pen would work just as well on the sides or a black one. However, if I was making one for my desk I would use a comic hand lettering font (not comic sans)

1 Like

I like the way it looks. It’s so different than the ones you normally see, which makes it stand out. Now, how do you get your pens to fill in engraving so nicely? My tips get ruined and just make a mess. Or maybe it’s just me!!

3 Likes

That was a fresh pen and pointy! Plus the material is pretty slippery, I was able to wipe off any excess.

3 Likes