Name Snowflakes

If you use Illustrator, here is a good tutorial for the name snowflakes. You would just use the same principles using names instead of an object:

http://vectorvice.com/Blog/2015/02/duplicating-a-shape-around-a-circle-in-adobe-illustrator-tutorial/

5 Likes

Spectacular!

1 Like

You know, I needed that visual!

1 Like

Thank you, but I can’t seem to open this link.

Looks like their server is having issues. Hopefully it will be back soon!

2 Likes

When you say you “cut them out” how did you get the cuts to outline around the font exactly? I love what you are doing here, I just can’t figure out how to make the cut different than where is engraved. Thanks

I used the outline feature in Glowforge Premium to make the cut lines. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you

1 Like

If don’t have Premium but are using Illustrator:
select your text
then Create Outlines
then under Pathfinder>>Unite path
then under Object>>Path>>Offset path

That is a huge help as I don’t have Premium. Thank you.

One question, what does your object look like after those steps? When I follow what you outlined the text seems to disappear unless I move the cursor over the object. Is that what is supposed to happen? Any idea what I am missing?

I am interested in this too…I get a big blob! Thanks in advance

How do you get Glowforge to cut the trace around the shape and not a square or something like that?

If you are stuck with GF Premium, then the answer was already posted above:

2 Likes

Does anyone know how to do it without the premium?

All the design apps do it. Which one are you using?

I’m trying to figure out which one I like best. I’m playing around with Cuttle, but I have Canva, Google Draw, I saw some people recommending illustrator. So I am open to suggestions. I am a school librarian and we got the Glowforges, but no premium subscriptions. I don’t know that we will have money for Premium, so I am trying to figure out ways to use the Glowforge on our campus without the Premium Account.

I use both premium and non premium. When using non premium plywood, you will need to use the set focus to get the correct thickness. I use set focus on everything every time. Next, I lie to the machine and pick the type of premium wood closest to the non premium wood you are using. That works well for me. Just remember that the premium plywood has a cardboard inside layer and the settings for proof grade are made that.

Can’t help with those. Illustrator is the only one on your list I consider a true design app., and many people use it, but I use Inkscape (which is free.) I know some people also use Cuttle but I have no idea if it supports what you are looking for.

2 Likes

Thanks, I will check it out :slight_smile:

Hi there! Co-founder of Cuttle here.

I recorded a short video showing how I would approach this project in Cuttle.

Hope this is helpful! Let me know if you have questions!

Also we have site-wide pricing for K-12 if you want to upgrade your whole school to Pro accounts.

5 Likes