Name that shape

(exploring the limits of detail again. Maple hardwood.)

11 Likes

Man your edges are dark, that really looks overpowered. Is it 1/8? Dialing in the settings a bit more may let you preserve more detail without frying.

My 1/8" maple edges look like a honey gold, not black.

That is quite a fly swatter :smiling_imp:

5 Likes

Thatā€™s what I was thinking, but that thin in hardwood itā€™ll just break as soon as it hits anything. I guess if itā€™s just decorationā€¦?

3 Likes

Hence the grinning imp :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

It could be a speaker cover, but the outline makes me doubt that

2 Likes

AH HA! Its clearly for slicing jello :wink:

5 Likes

I was thinking lamp like thisā€¦

but would need modifications .

3 Likes

Flies duck and dodge too fast.
Wasp was my guess.

1 Like

Space X grid fin?

7 Likes

Winner winner chicken dinnerā€¦

5 Likes

Have you ever heard of a Bug-A-Salt gun? As the name suggests, it is a gun to shoot bugs, especially flies, that utilizes salt as the ā€˜bulletsā€™. We first saw one many moons ago and now we give them to friends frequently as gifts.

You do need to wait until the fly has landed, but otherwise they really work great and are a lot of fun.

4 Likes

Just be careful to never shoot someone else on accident :grimacing: But definitely a lot of fun to use :smiley:

Most definitely. Fortunately it isnā€™t that bad even if you get shot on your arm or leg. To me the biggest risk is the eyes. We even let the kids use them once we can trust they wonā€™t shoot us or the dogs in the eyes.

2 Likes

I love watching all of their launches

Me too, but the landings are even more amazing to me!

3 Likes

I have been using squirt guns filled with soapy water to use on flies and the local wildlife folks call ā€œpalmetto bugsā€. Insects breathe through their sides with only waxy hairs to keep the water out that does not work with soapy water.

I like the salty bullets idea but have not seen one, Can one make them with a Glowforge? Would it work on palmetto bugs and fruit flies?

1 Like

Being from Georgia, we just call them roaches :slight_smile: No sense trying to make them sound nicer, they are huge and gross. But no, I doubt the Bug-a-salt would have enough power to kill a roach. I have used them on horse flies and wasps, but generally the first shot stuns them and then you need to fire a few more shots to actually take care of them.

Fruit flies, as i know them, are smaller than regular flies so it would definitely take those out. Of course, you are trying for a smaller target so might take a couple of tries.

And no, even though I am not the maker many are here, I canā€™t see any way that a glowforge could make one. My husband is planning on giving them out to clients this Christmas and he has asked me to find a way to utilize my GF to put his logo on them. Still trying to do some digging to find out if I can directly laser engrave on one or if ultimately Iā€™ll need to just use my Cameo and vinyl.

2 Likes

The ones in the keys are like tanks and wide like the large waterbugs elsewhere but in Tampa they are called Formosan and walk higher and faster, more aggressive, and more likely to fly. trying to do them in can be harder and messier. The fruitflys are more common here and the size of the grains of salt, but we have been taking them out with a soapy mist.

A clean roach is a good roach as it does not move any more but the soapy mess from the battle is a problem and a few salt grains would be less mess.

1 Like