Need 1 sheet 1/8" cherry plywood, 12x20

Yeah, at my Ganahl it just depends on which guy is writing up the order ticket. I’ve paid for 0 cuts and for more than a dozen. But still drive away with cheap, quality boards either way!

1 Like

You’re right, for the first two, I was super frustrated, but then I changed the settings, I was using settings for the other baltic birch, now it cuts like butter, I’m super impressed. I’m so glad you mentioned it. I’ve never been in there before and Home Depot doesn’t carry anything that thin.

2 Likes

Happy to help! I :heartpulse: Ganahl, they’re tons better than HD.
If you ever need lots of veneer, they carry the big rolls at pretty good prices.

1 Like

19 x 5 =95 very handy when making 4 cuts in a 96 inch sheet and a saw with a quarter inch kerf. 4x 20 leaves a 15 inch end piece.

As your effective cutting area is just a hair over 19 you are gaining much more useable wood, Likewise at 9.5 inches you get 25 smaller sheets that are big enough for almost anything you would cut anyway…

4 Likes

That’s good to know too. I like the proofgrade veneer because of the sticky backing, but I haven’t found it anywhere yet.

Lots of places sell it - it’s generally called “3M PSA” (for pressure sensitive adhesive.)

“Real” woodwork supply places have some really interesting veneers… Knotty woods, Bamboo, Babinga, etc.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll have to find it. Almost everything I learned about wood, I learned from this forum. Before this, the only shops I was interested in sold fabric.

I bought wood only once from Home Depot, but only because I was making a dragon costume for a stage production and I thought it would be neat to having articulated wings while the character was dancing. I had to have someone show me where to saw the wood myself.

Now that I think about it, the glowforge would make that project so much easier, back then I lacked the tools to cut it to the shapes I needed it…hmmm…I might be busy reworking these for the next week.

2 Likes

Ganahl has both plain and sticky back veneer in large rolls!

https://community.glowforge.com/t/do-you-need-a-lot-of-veneer/

I use a 9” Xyron to add sticky backings to plain paper/card stock and veneer at home.

2 Likes

They appear to be only in the LA area and not into shipping but great if you are there. :cry:

1 Like

The veneer they stock is Sauer brand which is sold at lots of places like Rockler and Woodcraft. :smiley:
Ganahl was mentioned as a direct resource for @CMadok who has already purchased wood there.

2 Likes

Thanks I found this…
https://www.amazon.com/Veneer-Variety-Pack-Sq-Sauers/dp/B003F0G60A

3 Likes

Thanks again. I didn’t really explore because from the front hepl desk they directed me straight to the cut order place, then to the back desk, then back to my car and into the wood cutting shop. It all happened so fast! Well, except the cutting. :rofl: But once the experienced saw guy came in, the actually cutting only took a couple of minutes. And they close pretty early, so when I got your advice about Ganahl, I left my house and went straight there, I think I just made it in time.

3 Likes

Fantastic! That’s the same pack they sell at Rockler but $5 less :slight_smile:
(and it looks like Rockler ships/sells the sticky back rolls, too)

1 Like

I use my Xyron to collect dust and remind me that I bought another thing this forum led me chasing down rabbit holes on :grin:

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

the adhesive in a xyron is nowhere near as strong as the 3M PSA. i use xyron a lot at work, and it’s great for paper to paper. i’ve used it in a pinch with veneer. first time, it peeled a little. second time, i sprayed the other surface w/77 adhesive spray and it was better. but the 3M PSA stuff is still worlds ahead.

1 Like

They assemble vehicles and appliances with 3M VHB tapes (PSA is one of them…)

True, and they don’t advertise it to be industrial strength. It’s just super handy for light duty jobs.

1 Like

yup. and the things it does well, it does very well. we use it at work a lot to double up paper weight. once that sticks, it’s only coming apart by tearing the paper.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.