Need 1 sheet 1/8" cherry plywood, 12x20

$3 for bb at 1/8" is about 5 times what I pay at rugby… Of course I have to cut it myself, but that’s satisfying. There is a rugby in Wilmington and one in Kernersville, looks like it’s about 1.5 hours away. Not next door, but closer than your guy and a lot cheaper.

I pay about $10 for a 5’x5’ sheet, which works out to 15 full bed sheets (more if you let @rbtdanforth optimize the cuts for you). That’s 66 cents per sheet.

5 Likes

Wow, that’s really cheap. The only thing I know around here is Home Depot, Lowe’s, and Ganahl Lumber. I’m sure if I was somewhere less…I don’t know how to describe Southern California…pre-planned for chain stores?..I could find something, but I’d probably have to go more north for that.

@crkjelstrom that etsy shop is cheap. How do you find the cuts? I’ve been finding that the place I order BB from (not trotec) has a lot of glue pockets. And since I do a lot of work for a dollhouse accessories designer, I’m finding that I’m having to redo a ton of items because they simply don’t cut all the way through. With smaller objects the glue pockets are easier to hit.

The unfinished aspect of the wood is what I’m interested in. For my projects I preferred finished, but for dollhouse stuff, apparently people like to finish and paint things on their own, and the lower price would probably be a good selling point. I’m just worried about spending more and testing to see if it will cut solidly every time.

The cutting is on point. Took a bit of testing to get my settings right. They have suggested settings that are almost correct. I use a Plus so I’d be happy to share what has worked for me! I have yet to have any catastrophic issues. Occasionally a spot doesn’t get cut completely, but it’s small enough I can get the rest of the piece out and then lightly sand off the rough edges. Really awesome wood. And yes, super cheap which has been amazing for my pricing! I’ve been able to lower my cost which means I can lower my sell point and it’s been really nice.

1 Like

I know that some places are cheaper, but I really wanted to get as much of my material from one place as I possibly could. Plus they are willing to lower cost since I’ll be doing a pickup and not shipping. And they are willing to try and get me 3/8" BB which isn’t as common to find.

2 Likes

I’m going to check it out, after I’ve burned through the rest of the wood I ordered. The BB I have requires sanding. I bought an electric sander because the amount I go through is just too much. But it’s super frustrating waiting for an hour on a complicated cut job, only to find that 1/3 of the items can be removed. They aren’t even tiny spots…It’s solid. I’d be interested in their walnut and cherry though, might be nice being able to finish it myself…maybe…sometimes finding a balance between time and convenience and price is hard.

However, I think that shop works out to about 7 dollars a sheet? I pay about 11.88 a sheet for a large, finished piece of wood, so maybe when I’m paying only this amount, it’s still worth it for me because I save time on sanding, masking (I just wipe it off with a bit of alcohol to remove any residue), and finishing. Things for me to ponder… But for my customer, the unfinished wood is a better deal when she wants something special.

1/8" BB from Ganahl has been 99% reliable using Med PG Maple settings.
Their 1/4" BB seems to be about 85% due to glue pockets and knots no matter what settings.

I haven’t experimented as much with my Rockler stash but so far all their veneers and plywoods I’ve tried have been 100%.

2 Likes

I’ve had some decent luck with Capitol lumber in Raleigh for some plywood. Their website says they have cherry in 1/4". I’m in Holly Springs, but get most of my stuff online. Ocooch has always had reasonable prices and their shipping is fast and not too pricey.

1 Like

15 -10.8 x 18 sheets or3 18 x 54 sheets if you have a Pro less the cutting kerf looks about as good as you can do it.

3 Likes

They sell 1/8" BB there? I’m short several boards for an order and I’m waiting for the BB I ordered to be shipped. I might have to check it out today. I hate being short on supplies, but it’s hard to anticipate sometimes.

Yup! And it’s super cheap, even with the cut fee ends up around $.78 per GF sized sheet.

2 Likes

You were right. Except it’s 99 cents a sheet. They charged me for 11 cuts (total, 5 included, 6 paid) even though I see they only did the 7 that I thought it would be. Hopefully it’s good, I’m sweating in my car waiting for them to finish right now, but still much cheaper than the 2-something a sheet I was paying, and much less wait.

3 Likes

I think I got a new guy, he’s really scaring me with the saw. I did get the new guy, he cut everything the wrong size, so they are redoing it. I asked if I can buy the ones he messed up on too since they were only an inch off, they said I can just have them since they have to toss them anyways. So now it’s only costing me 50 cents a sheet :joy::joy::joy:. It’s funny because I asked to buy two, but they told me I’m limited to 11 cuts a day and I’d have to order for tomorrow. But now I’m getting the same amount I asked for originally.

9 Likes

That is REALLY funny! Why would they have that limit I wonder?

2 Likes

That’s great! Sometimes I get the good guy who can stack cuts and sometimes I get the guy who can’t figure that out. But I love driving in and having them load it right into my car!

2 Likes

The guy cutting stacked them, but the guy inside was charging per little line he drew on the paper. He told me they don’t stack cuts. I thought it was weird because Home Depot stacks boards, and they don’t charge for cuts, it’s unlimited. I don’t mind paying for the cuts, I just don’t understand the way he was counting them, he was confusing himself.

1 Like

Yeah, at my Ganahl it just depends on which guy is writing up the order ticket. I’ve paid for 0 cuts and for more than a dozen. But still drive away with cheap, quality boards either way!

1 Like

You’re right, for the first two, I was super frustrated, but then I changed the settings, I was using settings for the other baltic birch, now it cuts like butter, I’m super impressed. I’m so glad you mentioned it. I’ve never been in there before and Home Depot doesn’t carry anything that thin.

2 Likes

Happy to help! I :heartpulse: Ganahl, they’re tons better than HD.
If you ever need lots of veneer, they carry the big rolls at pretty good prices.

1 Like

19 x 5 =95 very handy when making 4 cuts in a 96 inch sheet and a saw with a quarter inch kerf. 4x 20 leaves a 15 inch end piece.

As your effective cutting area is just a hair over 19 you are gaining much more useable wood, Likewise at 9.5 inches you get 25 smaller sheets that are big enough for almost anything you would cut anyway…

4 Likes

That’s good to know too. I like the proofgrade veneer because of the sticky backing, but I haven’t found it anywhere yet.